non payers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fyerfighter2000, Aug 18, 2004.

1. fyerfighter2000

fyerfighter2000 LawnSite Member

what do you do about clients who either tell you that the check is in the mail or just refuse to pay overall? how much time do you give them before you drop them ? then how do you get the money that they already owe you?

2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

this needs to be relocated to Commercial Lawn Forum...

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

But it is in the Commerical Lawn Forum:rolleyes:

I stop cutting after the 4th cut without sometype of payment (at least part of what they owe) and start back when they are paid up.

4. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I f I dont get a payment I stop right then. As far as getting the money you will have to hound them to no end till they get tired of it and pay.

5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

6. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

I bill at the end of each month. If I don't get a check within 2 weeks of bills going out I start investigating. Luckily most of my customers are good payers. If I run across someone who's habitually late I usually don't call them back in the spring. Leopards RARELY change their spots.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

4 cuts tops. if your payment terms havn't been met, why even consider continuing?

8. fyerfighter2000

fyerfighter2000 LawnSite Member

but what if they owe you 2 to 3 hundred dollars and haven't payed in 2 months? keep sending them a bill with interest? or pay the 80some dollars and file it in small claims?

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

small claims is for cowards. call 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. knock on thier door, everytime you're in the area. don't ask for your money, DEMAND it

10. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

This coming fromt he guy that has a revolving account at his courthouse.

The answer is simple, buy the new "Collecting For Dummies" book by Bobby Gedd, now out in paperback.

Leins, small claims court etc...... All in the search feature.

As well, there is an excellent feature here where you can network just with others from Wisconsin, who will invariably have better info for you about Wisconson's situation than Bobby Gedd has about ANYTHING.