1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Non paying customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Season 2 Season, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Season 2 Season

Season 2 Season LawnSite Member

I have a dead beat customer. Won't answer door or phone. Left many a bill. So, yesterday I filed a mechanics lien on there house. Now on with question. Have any of you guys had luck with doing the same. If not, what have you all done to get money? Thx. Kevin
  2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The lien is a very good step but I would also take them to court and try and get a judgment against them as well. Once you get the judgment you could then have their wager garnished. Best of luck getting your money.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A Mechanics Lien of Intention also shows up on someone's credit report As mentioned, go for a judgement as well.

Good Luck.
  4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I have had about 95% success rate with just threatening to file a lein. I've never had to actually file one. Usually when I say I am going to do it, I will have a check in my mailbox within 48 hours.
  5. Season 2 Season

Season 2 Season LawnSite Member

I tried threat. They did not respond. Sent lien to them other day. Letting know it had been placed with copy. Hopefully they pay or try to sell soon. I have never done the small claims route. Is there much involved. What proof do I need? Thx to all for responses.
  6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

A lien is somewhat of a passive approach. The only way it will really affect them is if they go to sell the house. (You cant sell with the lien attached.) Sure its on their credit, but usually deadbeats have very poor credit anyway, so that does not really matter to them.
  7. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends. Some times you just have to be a bean counter.
    Most likely I would just move on and hand it over to collections.
    If I got 1/2 of my money I would be happy. If I got nothing no time of mine was wasted trying to collect.
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Season 2 Season, some of the guys here have said that they stop by the dead beats house whenever they are in the area and ask for the money especially when there is someone there visiting. Saturday nights or whenever I suppose it would be a good idea to have a big friend with you in case they aren't impressed with you making them look "bad"
  9. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

How much does this client owe you? If it is not that much, go through the steps (letters, collections, lien, etc...) and move on. Check with your accountant to see how it can be recovered in regard to bad debt write-off, etc... Your time is valuable. Do not waste it chasing people who aren't worth your time.

It might help you to move towards certain payment policies. I think Jim Lewis has explained in a few posts some very effective ways he assures payment. Look those up.