Non-Payment on Contract

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clallen03, Aug 30, 2007.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client that signed on for services in mid July. The contract states they will pay $127 per month from July 07 to June 08. This includes full service maintenance and fert and w/c. The first payment the client made was in July for the first month of service. During that month I mowed the lawn twice, installed 13 bails of pinestraw, trimmed shrubs, staked a tree that was leaning, and removed 2 small pine trees that were dying.

First payment is normally due at the time the contract is signed but she wasn't home and her area was on my route that day. I cut the lawn and left the contract and she mailed it back about 4 days later along with her payment. I mailed her another invoice on the first of Aug. that is due by the 15th and I haven't received payment yet. Know I have sent a letter reminding her that her payment is late but I haven't heard from her. I have tried to call but no one answers.

As of today I have invested $380 into this account and have only been paid $127. This is the first time this has happened to me and Im afraid I will have to terminate this contract for non-payment.

What would you do in this situation? I have no problem terminating the contract but I just want my $253 that I she owes me.

I think I will send a letter to terminate the contract and in that letter it will have her remaining balance of $253 due immediately. Do you guys normally go after the full contract amount?

This is the first time I'm dealing with a non payer and just need some advice on handling this problem.

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm. Have you tried going to her house? Might try sending another bill and stating on it "Prompt payment ensures continued service". Then after you get your money, cancel her. May open up a can of worms if you cancel and then ask for remaining balance. At least thats been my experience. Good luck.

3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I would not go back until you get a payment. I have people like this and its always something like ( I was on vacation ) some lame excuse. Keep calling her and hounding her and she will probably pay you just to leave her alone. Be patient ....this kind of stuff happens to all of us.

4. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

olddebts.com

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Just keep on top of her, call her everyday, stop by the house after 6 or so when she will be home.

6. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel your pain, I'm in the same situation, my wife left another call that the check still hasn't arrived, this to with installing pine straw, she was tossed out of the home she was buying but paid the outstanding debt, Next time it's money up front when ordering pine straw on questionable accounts.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

There is a certain percent of the people that just aren't going to pay on time....if that bothers you then you will have a tough time in any service business. It is not unusual to have them 90 days out.....our experience is that if you push them a lot you will lose them and on the other hand most people will pay. This is why a lot of part time guys cherry pick the good payers and dump the others......Maybe they are on vacation or had a death in the family who knows?

8. Mirror7m

Mirror7m LawnSite Member

I have the same problem as well only it is not a contract . The person owes me 100 dollars. And I have called them for 6 weeks in a row one time a week. And then the last call I made they said do not call this house again . What should I go about doing at this point? Should I still call ?