Non-Professional Needs Advice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by valley, Dec 9, 2003.

1. valley

valley Banned

Hello everyone. I am new to this board and have a few questions. I am in the very early stages of constructing a home on 5 acres of land. Of those 5 acres 4 have been cleared. The property is flat with some trees (40 to 50). I am trying to get information on what size mower I would need to mow this property. Originally I was looking at Compact Utility Tractors such as John Deere 4110 however I am now considering a commercial grade ZTR. My questions are as follows would a ZTR suit my needs vs a tractor with belly mower? I do not mind mowing grass however I would like to get the job done within a reasonable amount of time therefore what size engine and deck would you recommend? Should I go with a Diesel or Gasoline engine. In my area the mower brands available are Scag, Exmark, John Deere, Grasshopper and Kubota. Any recommendations on any of these brands or would any of them be a good choice? Thanking you all in advance.

Steve

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hello Steven
    Lazer z 60" 27 Kohler. Happy Holidays!
    John

429-300res.jpg

3. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Go with a 20+ hp compact 4x4, You can do so much more with it:Mow,plow,front bucket,Backhoe,york rake,3 pt hitch (many attachments). If U buy a mower an gas 60'' Exmark Lazer is the way to go. No charge, Happy holidays

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Ditto what Jammer said.
    But if you go with a trac its gonna take more time to mow. I would suggest you look into a steiner or ventrac best of both worlds

Mac

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Better Yet Powertrac.com If your into it.

6. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

all this is real good, esp. the 4wd. make sure you get the turf tire on the 4wd though. more agressive tires can, but not surely tear up your lawn. but if you need a mower, try 218/48 grasshopper. they're about 5999$, and have a good deck, only 5 grease fittings, v-twin kohler comand, 10cc hydro gears, kevlar belts, etc. or you can go for the 220/52 with a little bigger deck, and more horse power. dixie has a silver eagle line with similar features, but a little simpler design with less safety swithches, which is appealling to homeowners cause of less to go wrong. or if you want to spend the money, get tiger cub. they have a much better bearing set up than most other machines. their spindles require less grease intervals, and have an adjustable baffle in the deck you can play with. exmark doesn't have any grease fittings in the spindles at all, so this could be a plus for you too. but they can get real pricey real fast. most of these machines mentioned are 6000-7700$ except the exmark. if it's a less expensive garden tractor you want, then go check out snapper. they have models out now with thick cast steel swing arms, heavier tie rods, hydro static drive, and so-on. this would serve for some small tractor uses also.

7. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

I'll second what John Gamba said ... 60" Exmark Lazer with 27 hp. Get the 2004 model because it has a roll bar and gas gauge. My dealer has it for $6999 (*great* price). You can get a trailer hitch for $50.

I have the Lazer HP, which is nice because it's compact and doesn't take up too much room in the garage -- but for just a little more $$, I think the full-size Lazer that I mentioned would be worth it for your 4 acres.