Non-Profit lawn aerations... I think I will scream!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Aug 15, 2001.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Well, it's starting, ads are in the local papers for aeration, I must share this with ya'll. I had the ad and was going to post it but I lost the paper that it was in, I will try to get another, here's the scoop.

A local LCO has a 1/4 page ad in the community paper, the ad gives great info about what aeration is and has a nice photo of a pulled plug, the ad then reads as follows:

• [*]Lawn Aeration charges as follows for 1/4 acre lawn:

[*]Aeration $50
      [*]Fertilizing $40
      [*]Overseeding $50
      [*]ALL THREE SERVICES FOR $119.00!!

I wonder how this guy does his math? If the lawn which is app. 11,000 sf, is overseeded at 8 pound per 1000sf and gets starter fertilizer, his COST is over $100.00 and he's charging $120.00!!! IF he pays taxes how is he making any money at all? He is charging $10.81 per k to aerate/fertilize/overseed, what a bunch of crap!! I hope to find the ad again, I plan on giving him a call and have a brief math class.

This sucks....:angry:

2. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

You get what you pay for. That does suck. I better not see that $*%# in my town. Those people are idiots. They make legit businesses look bad.

3. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Did the ad say he would be useing 8 lbs. on 1000 sq. ft. ?
    Or how much fert. ? :confused:

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Sammy, the ad did not state the amounts. It really does not matter, if you apply the proper amount of starter fertilizer you will use almost one bag, and if you seed at a decent rate you will use 80-90 pounds of seed. Anything less will be a POS job and make the customer think that should be the going rate.

He may be using a pound of each I don't know, I do know he is aerating 1/4 acre for $50.00, that's around $4.30 per 1000sf, again, what a bunch of crap.

5. So what is the problem. My kees power pluger does 20k per hour.

That's $100 per hour the last time I looked. My aerator was $500 bought used. That is less than $2/hr equipment cost.

So if you pay yourself $30 take another $10 for all overhead you have just made a 60% gross profit margin.

Are there any MBAs it the house?

6. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Stone, Your real good with math but sounds like you think chump change is alot of money. Maybe if you live in a tent. You might want to rethink what you are charging so you can make some real money.
    I never understand why anybody wants to be known as the cheapest guy in town. We have gone out of our way to be known as the highest guy in town. So now only people with money call us and we make alot of money. Always hate to see people doing sub-standard work and trying to pass it off as what the pro's do. Of course, they never really ever go anywhere. Just work alot.

7. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Its one thing when you may be doing large area's, but I know what Ray is getting at.

You never saw much of the scrubs getting invovled with hydroseeding, de-thatching, aeration, etc, but now they're moving in fast.

Maybe they'll learn, I hope, for all of our sakes!

8. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Does he state what kinda of see he is using? Weed seed? Leso is selling a mixed blend seed at $1 lb. He must be going light or getting real nice deals.

9. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

hate to say it but the aeration and fert price, converted to canadian, would be high for my area.

the overseeding does seem ridiculous though

10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ray,

I can FEEL the fustration in your post. Just be glad you're in NC and not here in Central FL. We see that type of stuff all the time.