1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Non-Recurring Schedule

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Mar 21, 2005.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Just wondering how other LCO's around the country handle this issue.

It never fails, if you do even a moderate amount of advertising in March & April, you can pretty much take all the shrub and bed clean-up work you want. I've got a 'to-do' list of non-recurring work, consisting primarily of mulch and shrubs. It will take my shrub crew at least three weeks to get through the list as it is now.

If a customer calls and wants a clean-up, but they're not on the mowing or fert schedule, do they get the same priority as a customer who is on the regular schedule? Or do you bump the folks who are on the regular schedule ahead of the folks who aren't? My concern about doing it this way is that I'll never get around to the folks who aren't on the regular schedule in time and they'll cancel the order. But at the same time, my regular customers are now waiting several weeks to get their clean-ups done.

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Take only what you can handle for the time being. After you get caught up with everyone including your regular customers, take on some more one time jobs.

I don't take on more than I can handle out of fear of a bad reputation for not getting to them fast enough.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

That's always a tough call. Your regular customers are more likely to put up with a reasonable delay than a "one-time" customer. But still, I hate to put the bread and butter clients off. A lot comes down to location, someone could get serviced sooner than later if they happen to be next to another job I'm working on.

Once I start getting a full workload, I try to give them an estimate of when they can expect it done.
  4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

The ones that pay you all year should come first..

Only take on additional if you have vacancies in your schedule and make sure you are up front with them on timing..

Remember not to get carried away with the spring rush of one-times...... Keep your head and only take what you can handle without hiring additional people that you wont need for your recurring work....

sometimes we can get carried away when were busy as hell and then when the spring rush is over and you have just your regular mowing, alll of a sudden youre left with a couple of surplus people on the payroll...
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

When a NFL team makes the playoffs, who gets first picks at tickets, someone who jumps on the bandwagon, or a season ticket holder. This one is painfully obvious.
  6. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

If the entire season were like spring time, this would be a no-brainer. I'd simply have one shrub & clean-up crew for every two mowing crews. But experience tells me I should be ok with three days per week set aside for the shrub/clean-up crew and have them mow on Th-Fr, while the other two crews mow all week. I'm certain that ought to be a pretty good balance come May one.

DFW Area Landscaper
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

When I am running EOW on Mowing I have the mowing crew (helper and myself) doing clean ups in the off week. If I have more than I can handle. I pick up day labor and delegate idiot proof jobs to that guy. You know, pick up the crap we drop, pull weeds, load the trailer.

This way I can get 3 done in a day as opposed to 2.

I would just get some part time people to mix in with the experienced guys and increase output for the month or so that it is crazy.
  8. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

We don't offer non customer cleanups.