1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Non-stick Deck???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JClawncare, Mar 18, 2006.

1. JClawncare

JClawncare LawnSite Member

Does anybody know of anything that can be used that helps keep grass from sticking or building up on the underside of the deck? Or is there anything? Also what is a good grit stone to use when sharpening your blades with a bench grinder? Is one grit or coarseness better?
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Just do a SEARCH as this has been discussed many, many, many......did I say many yet.....times on here.
  3. Thib

Thib LawnSite Member

I use Mo-Deck just spray some every couple of weeks. You can get at WWW.MO-DECK.COM
  4. Toro 44

Toro 44 LawnSite Member

see this thread for the non stick coating, also look into mo-deck.http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=136470

on the blade sharpening, I use the coarse wheel to take the majority of the material off. Sometimes I'll do a de-burring pass on the back side with the fine wheel. I think the coarse wheel is 36 grit and the fine one 60 grit.

I also have a jig made up to hold the blade at a perfect 30 degree angle against the stone. It works very well on straight blades. My dealer commented that my sharpened blades looked like jeweler's work. If I can ever figure how to post pics from my own files, i'll post a couple.

hope this helps.
  5. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

I use the MO-Deck and it works pretty good, the best that I have seen. I get it from mowmore.com It is 6.99 @ can or 5.99 @ can if you buy 12 cans or more. Hope this helps
  6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I use a double blade set up - gator on top and regular blade on bottom - I have not scraped the bottom of a deck for 5 years. This is one of the 60 inch JD decks that has been mowing since 1998, and this is how I put it away last fall, and this is how it stays even when mowing in the rain, dew, or dry.

Double Blades-Bottom of Deck-Clean.jpg
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That configuration does does the opposite where I am from.

The purpose of the gator blade is to hold the clippings under the deck for a longer period of time and allow the notched foil to cut the clippings repeatly. When this happends, the clippings become smaller and smaller and have a tendency to ball up and stick to the deck underneath unlike when using just a high lift blade that cuts the grass and throws the clippings out as far as possible immediately.

I haven't scraped a deck in 13 years either...but that is a result of personal laziness. :laugh:
  8. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I use one medium grit wheel to sharpen all blades. In addition, I spray a generic brand of "WD-40" under the decks when finished scraping. It does help with the build-up, and makes it easier to scrape the next time.
  9. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

How can you get both blades on the spindle? And...does the 2 blades help compared to a single blade?
  10. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Clean it off and spray it with PAM cooking spray.