"Non Striped Lawns"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vaham, May 26, 2008.

1. vaham

vaham LawnSite Member

Although I love good stripes, not all lawns have to be striped to look good- here is an example of one of my customers lawns. This is only my second time to cut this property-photos are a little washed out in the bright sun.

:usflag::usflag::usflag:GOd Bless our Troops

Novak 01.jpg

Novak 02.jpg

Novak 03.jpg

2. tilawn

tilawn LawnSite Member

what is the "white" line for looks like an uneven deck or low tire? Just wondering

3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

enless hes got a mower with fuel tanks on bothsides and one is low

4. vaham

vaham LawnSite Member

It's the tire track...I ride the same track on the return trip with the discharge
    (right) side tire, tracks are about 8' apart.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

One thing I did notice is once you learn how to stripe you're as good as cursed lol. There's no way, after you know it, to get out of it except to go out of your way not to do it... Now I could be wrong but it almost looks like that's what you might have done.

To back your point thou, I don't think you are wrong per se, striping isn't all that either.
    Merely a cosmetic effect, not all customers care for it, not all yards take to it.
    Then as a rule, it is hard on the turf.
    And ultimately, a clean cut lawn can and does look at least as good from most perspectives.
    Which, I don't stripe all of mine, I don't stripe every day or all of the time, either.
    I have to be in the mood, most of the time I am, but the turf has to lend itself for it, too.

It is an art, hence dependent upon not just the artist, but the canvas, and the roller ...LOL
    Which, is that why they 'roll' lawns up yonder?
    I always wondered about that...

6. vaham

vaham LawnSite Member

It's the double-trod (for lack of a better word)tire track...I ride the same track on the return trip with the discharge (right) side tire, tracks are about 8' apart.
    The trim side rides alongside, not in, the previous track, so the grass is easily stood back up by the deck vacuum.

7. vaham

vaham LawnSite Member

Yeah, my Toro stripes like a banshee, and so does my TTHP.. I know how to stripe. The tunnel deck on the Everride is a different animal, however. Even without stripes, uniformity is something that customers still expect, as it reflects the professionalism of the contractor they have employed. That is why I go out of my way to leave uniform tracks as much as possible, even with a mower that doesn't stripe by nature.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

yea..those lawns look good...

but they would look great with some stripes I would have to say.

Good work.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just tire tracks I'd say, I notice them even when a striper is used often. Not everyone likes stripes as we have had several discussions on this before. We seem to like them more than the customers in general. Some feel that they take attention from the home or are a distraction. Some love them, like I said customers don't always appreciate the things we think are important.

10. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

looks very nice, good job

I would'nt worry about those tire tracks. They won't be visible after 2 days.

That's some property right there, the size, trees, wooden fence and everything. Must be a wealthy customer. Is that your truck in the first pic? He lets you park in his driveway. Cool. I often have to unload off property and go from there. People don't seem to like grass clippings and dirt falling from the trailer on their driveways.