Non Turf Total Vegitation Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by morturf, Feb 11, 2003.

1. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I am referring to parking lots and the like.

I am curious what products you have had success with for long term control.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mike

2. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on what you want to achieve and the conditions of the surface being treated. Soil sterilants such as Karmex, Oust work very well but are prone to runoff that can leach into desirable vegetation. Finale, pramitol work on emerged growth and don't leach too much.
    It's easier to get veg under control early in the season when growth is tender and flush, also uses less material. Treating when weeds are 2 foot tall uses a lot of material and leaves a field of brown for the customer to look at.

Read labels very carefully using these types of materials.

3. Greenie

Greenie LawnSite Member

Round-up and Simazine 4L

4. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

Sahara works well, if you are not worried about run off into non-target areas.

5. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Thank you very much gentleman,

The thing I am aiming at is to put down a product on cracks in asphalt early to kill any already sprouting and keep them out the rest of the year. I guess I should have been more specific. Thanks again for your help
    Mike

6. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Dyclomec works, check label first

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Sahara will give you a year + coverage. I have done several gravel car lots and it has done great, as stated above use caution.

8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have used a variety of chemical compounds and synergistic tank mixes.
    I finally gave up (actually broke down) and acquired Sahara from Lesco. So far so good.
    I haven't observed any off target effects, and the vegetation I wish controlled is beginning to discolour.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

SWD

If you are just seeing yellowing now you haven't had enough time to see off target damage. Sahara has a bad rap in my area. Lots of off target damage. Sahara must have allot of mobility in the soil as well lynching down drainage line. Also tank residual damage stories abound. However I am not speaking from experience. Only from hear say.