Non-typical blower discussion

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I made myself go give the RedMax blowers a "fair shake" today.

After doing so, I'm somewhat glad I did. Although my back has been killing me (just recently) I guess my back has actually gotten a lot better.

The reason I say that is right off I noticed I did not mind the 7001 near as much on my back as before. Plus the 8000 which was like an absolute NEVER didn't seem so much like a big off-balance counterweight on my back like it did before either.

But after checking them out, here are some of my random thoughts...

The 8000 is NO QUESTION the heaviest blower that's ever been on my back and it is CERTAINLY noticeable heavier feeling than the Echo 751. Specs say the 8000 weighs less than the 751, so close you should not be able to tell.

Either the specs LIE or the 8000 is laid out badly.

On a side note, this 8000 had the waist strap. Wish I would have had good instruction on how to use it best.

The 7001 is way lighter than the 8000. Feels almost in line with the BR600, just not as well balanced out. I like it a lot more now than I did when it first came out. I think the thing is that I am a taller guy and not huge by any means but thick through the shoulders and chest. So the bottom of it hits me higher up on the back. That's what I notice anyways.

On a side note, I have steep boxer/puncher shoulders. I think that's why I don't use backpacks unless they are needed.

Personally, I haven't noticed a massive difference in power really between the BR600 and Echo 751. Both are nice and the lighter weight and tighter design of the BR600 is a plus. But I like the Echo too for other reasons and find it close to as comfortable.

I really have myself wondering how the RedMax units measure up to the BR600 and 751...

With the size of the 8000 and the weight, it should be a monster and be stronger. But looking at the specs, I have a hard time believing either one does really.

The reason I have this doubt is that RedMax rates their CFM 'WITHOUT' the tubes and the MPH 'WITH' the tubes. I found some ratings on the BR600 and Echo 751 'without' the tubes and they are well beyond both RedMax units.

EB7001 = 742
    EB8000 = 943

PB751 = 1260 (620 with)
    BR600 = 1012 (712 with)

Most blowers seem to rate at like 300 CFM less if not more 'with' the tubes.
    For that reason I have doubts about the RedMax blowers.

Well that sums up some of my random thoughts.
    Who here has one of these RedMax units AND a BR600 or 751 too?

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Your going to get all the redmax guys fired up and posting responses to your thread. Then you will see the echo guys come on strong along with the br supporters. Personally I like the echo hip mounted throttle the best. I've used them all in the last 8 years of my career. 7001 and 8000 seem to have a ton of nuts but I do love my 751. I'm buying the echo 755 on wed. Not to keen on the orange plastic but what can you do. The main reason I bought the 751 over the 7001 is the flexural handle for the throttle. I hated blowing out behind woody bushes and getting hung up and not able to find the solid plastic throttle of the 7001. And I agree the 8000 is heavy. Not bad for an hour but all day sucks. May only problem with echo is getting shocked if you hold the throttle with your left hand. anyone else getting shocked. been like that for years. shoots through the seam.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Not trying to 'fire up' the RedMax guys, or anyone else for that matter.

Just sharing some random thoughts is all and trying to sort them out.
    But primarily looking for guys who have a RedMax and an 751 or BR600.

After all, there are things I can nit-pick about on the 751 & BR600 too.

Just a thinking out-loud session I guess.....

4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned all three. All great blowers. I agree with what you've said. However, to not admit the redmax is a lot more powerful than the others is kidding yourself.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Thanks...

See I can't say about the RedMax power because I don't have that sort of field experience with them.

Is there some sort of scale of your own that you could make up to illustrate the power levels of the 7001 and 8000 in relation to the BR600 and 751?

On a side note, does RedMax somehow have a way more efficent tube or something?

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Redmax 8000 owners manual sez...688 at the pipe end. Power difference between it and the Stihl BR600 is minimal. We have both blowers in service.

7. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bill, I am curious since you have both which do you or your guys seem to like better, and any reason why? I was thinking about the br600 for next season.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Thanks Bill,

So far this is shaping up to be a good thread on the blower topic.

I guess the RedMax does have a bit more efficient tube than the others.
    I was thinking 942 - 300 for the tubes (642 CFM).
    I was a bit off, but not real far.

So would you say either the BR600 or the 8000 is stronger than the other?

BR600 v/s 751... I can't really say one is stronger than the other.
    But rather I would say they have a different style of power from eachother.

9. Jay74

Jay74 LawnSite Member

I have the BR600 and the 8000... and they are both good! The 8000 is noticeably stronger than the 600, albeit heavy and uncomfortable. I have done back to back comparisons alternating machines from week to week and the 8000 consistently saves me time. At two large complexes the 8000 saves me almost 30 minutes compared to the 600. On small properties I sometimes will pull out the 600 and revel in its lightness and comfort.

Jason

10. Envy Lawn Service

So are the RedMax CFM numbers under-rated then?

Your opinion is that the weight of the 8000 is worth this "noticeable power difference"...?