Noob Edger Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mastruck04, May 16, 2010.

1. mastruck04

mastruck04 LawnSite Member

I'm just starting out and have only a few small lawns. I want to stand out from my competition and from what I've seen no one edges. I would like to offer this to my customers and set myself apart.

I haven't used and edger before, but I'm pretty handy with my trimmer. Would you recommend a walk behind or a stick edger? I only would have around driveways to worry about.

What brands should I be looking at? I dont need top of the line at this point, but dont want crap either.

Thanks for the input.

2. jhawk60

jhawk60 LawnSite Member
    from VA

Walk behind edgers are much quicker for establishing an edge where there is a lot of overgrowth, stick edgers are much quicker for maintaining an established edge.

In your position, with just a few lawns, I would go with a walk behind.

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Stick edgers are only faster if you arent very skilled with a walkbehind.

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking about asphalt driveways? If so, you don't want to be using an edger on them but instead turn your string trimmer on edge.

5. B Gillespie

B Gillespie LawnSite Member

Stihl FC75 is one of the best and priced at about $300. Used models go for 125-175.

If you're cutting a lot of overgrown edges, look into the straight shaft models. They spin about half as fast; switch to the 4 sided Oregon blade after the edge is established for the cleanest cut.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. mastruck04

mastruck04 LawnSite Member

Is there a brand to steer towards or away from that matter? I've seen some used with 2 hp engines? Is that enough HP?

7. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

I might also look on craigslist for used edgers, I use a stick edger but it sometimes is difficult to make new edges. I can't really suggest which is better because I 've haver use a walk behind edger.

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I've actually got both a stick edger (straight shaft) and a walk behind edger. The walkbehind is a "yard machines" and actually does a pretty good job and has been running for quite a few years. My stick edger is a Stihl, but I just got that over the winter, so I haven't used it much.

If you are just going to be doing driveways then the stick edger would probably be the best choice. When looking for a good edger, check out the major brands (stihl, echo, redmax, shindaiwa, etc). It just depends on what your favorite dealer carries.

9. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you edging against concrete or asphalt?

10. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

flip your trimmer upside down.