Noob Exmark Question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ALarsh, Aug 15, 2006.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I bought a 2002 eXmark Turf Tracer HP. Are my spindles grease able or not? Are there any known failure problems with them (not being grease able I think) because I have read that some people have problems with sealed spindles...

Thanks.

2. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

The bearings are sealed and are not going to get grease from traditional means. Most of the spindles do have a grease zerk. I do offer that you should put 2-3 pumps of grease into them on occasion. This to help cool the bearings and keep the parts from rusting together. Also, keep your deck clear of dirt and grass debris-This will help keep the bearings cool.

That said; I have seen those bearings last less than 100 and over 1500 hours with no real rhyme or reason as to care.

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I will say that one cause of early failure of nongreaseable spindle assemblies is washing the unit off while the bearing assemblies are still hot(warm). Cooling the assembly will draw moisture inside. We had one commercial cutter who liked his units clean when they went out in the morning and his guys would stop by the nearest car wash on the way in for clean up. One unit had bearing failure the first season and the other unit failed the first shot out in the second season.

If one insists on washing the unit, wash it cold and blow off immediately.

Personally, I would not wash the deck on a nongreaseable unit, just keep accumulated grass blown off on a regular basis.

Opinions will vary, but if I wash a greasable deck, I blow off excess water with a backpack blower or compressed air then grease.

I have drilled and tapped numerous nongreaseable spindles, both new and used. Disassemble first and remove both inner seals before reassembly.

The biggest problem with greaseable assemblies is that they DON"T GET GREASED.

Just my two cents worth.

Dutch

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I dont understand some peoples fixation with washing their mowers at all nevertheless every day. Why do all of that? You cause more harm than good in the form of rust and failed bearings. I blow my stuff off at the end of the day and it still looks fine, hell if it looked like chit it wouldnt bother me as long as it performs at its best.

As for the non greasable vs greasable debate I will take the non greasables. Had one spindle fail on my gravely in the first 40 hours -- manufacturing defect and that has been it for the last 250 hours. The 44z uses sealed bearings and that is fine by me -- the less maintenance the better because no matter how particular one is about their mainenance eventually you will forget and that is how parts blow apart and fail.

Only grease zerk on my whole machine is for the parking brake lever ...

5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Ok was just checking about the non-greasable spindles. It sure is nice to not have to grease them but i'm curious to see how long they hold up.

Good tip about not washing when hot!