Noob looking for advice on a residential zero turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by goldentee, May 15, 2010.

1. goldentee

goldentee LawnSite Member

My awesome Craftsman lawn tractor :rolleyes: is at death's door. *trucewhiteflag* I have two and a half mostly level acres and have narrowed the field to these 3:

1. Hustler Sport 48" honda engine $3,650
    2. Ariens Zoom XL 48" $3,899
    3. John Deere z425 48" $3,500-$3,600

The Deere has the dual pumps but no springs/suspension under the seat and a stamped deck. I'm afraid I'll shatter my spine if I hit a few of the ruts/bumps I have in the yard. Am I worried for nothing? I like the large drive tires on the Deere and the proximity of the dealer.

The Hustler has a good engine in the Honda and a stout deck/frame. I don't like the smaller drive wheels as I worry they wont be good enough for the grade I have at the front of my property. This is not a deal breaker though.

I never heard of Ariens until I saw it at the dealer yesterday. It has a beefier deck than the Hustler with larger (20") drive wheels. It also has a ZT2800 Transaxle and 24hp Kawasaki engine. I think this is the best bang for the buck but can't find much online about this model.

I'd love to hear some opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

2. GuyNextDoor

GuyNextDoor LawnSite Member

I have a couple of Hustlers and love them. Along with the 4 year warranty. gotta love that. I don't like the stamped decks. Don't think they hold up well enough. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

3. goldentee

Thanks for the reply. I really like the Hustler Sport though the sheet the dealer gave me said the warranty is 2 years(3rd year parts only) not 4 years. The Honda engine has a 3 year warranty. The Fas Trak has a 4 year residential use warranty.

4. GuyNextDoor

GuyNextDoor LawnSite Member

I have the FasTrak. must be why i was thinking that. Still good mowers. I like that they sit a little lower so if your mowing on an incline it doesn't feel like your going to tip it over.

5. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

the only one I would mess with is the hustler. The other 2 are crap. The decks will fall apart. They will ride smoother than the craftsmen regardless of having suspension on the seat. Look at this mower http://www.badboymowers.com/view/pricing-and-details 26hp 48 inch deck, 8mph. 3,499. This beats anything you put up there. You can find this at your local TSC store.

6. goldentee

Thanks for the reply but can you elaborate on why the Ariens is crap? Do they have a bad reputation for quality? The specs seem better than the Hustler Sport. It has a 24 HP Kawasaki engine, thicker 10 gauge fabricated deck, 20 inch rear wheels and a better transaxle(ZT2800).

I'll see if the TSC near me has a Bad Boy I can check out.

7. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Ariens is a down grade from gravely. I see the mower, I was thinking something a little different. that don't look to bad at all.

8. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

heres some advice!

if you plan on growing and doing this bussiness for a few years; buy a commercial ztr. ya you'll spend a few extra bucks, but hey you'll save money in the long run..

i had a buddy buy a toro homeowners ztr and he's beaten the crap out of it, he just replaced, belt, go-bar, and some other costly things, and he only had one mower, so while his was in the shop, he had to borrow somone else's. which was another expense.

9. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

Bad boy is a down grade from most mowers on the market. I hate the way their built long as a limo and an go awful deck. The worst cut I have ever seen!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

Plus the bad boy warranty sucks!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device