Noobie to all aspects of lawncare/landscaping

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TyDaMan, Dec 27, 2003.

1. TyDaMan

TyDaMan LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Hey whats up everyone,

I have a question for those of you that were in my shoes at one point. Basicly i want some feed back from people like me, that wanted to get into the business of lawncare and landscaping.

I want to be able to start my own business. The business i obviously had in mind was lawncare and then eventually landscaping. Ive cut lawns in my life mostly my own when i was younger, but have no real experience as a professional.

Could anyone tell me if they have started their own business with little to no experience in lawn care or landscaping?

See i thought id start solo at first, then try to expand to 2 crews of 2. and then would love to get into landscaping. Building decks, pounds gardening ect.

Please give me all info good or bad as possible.

Thanks,

Ty

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi TyDaMan,

You can do anything you want, you just have to do it.

3. TyDaMan

TyDaMan LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

any advice? like for what equiptment i would need to start solo?
    and how to advertise and get lots of accounts

Thanks

Ty

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you saying you are going to learn the trade as you go? I have seen it done but I wouldn’t advise it. The learning curve is very painful if you do not have an experienced mentor i.e. boss to guide you mastering weedwacking and becoming quick and accurate takes most newbies half the summer to get proficient and another full year to be truly good enough to teach others.

And that is an easy part of the trade if your not to old id recommend you try working for a professional landscaper for at least a year to get some foundation under you for instance you come to do a fall clean up what part of the yard are you gona start? Why? You find the pile has stopped moving and you need a way to move it quickly you could use a tarp is there a better way? What brands are you gona buy? How do you know they are any good. Handles and triggers differ from machine to machine would it not be better to find out what you don’t like with some one else’s time?

Are you certain the quality when you left a lawn is up to par? Was everything that needed to be edged really edged how bout trimming you certain it was all done with out experience you may find you are not as clean and professional as they are accustomed to?

Next issue if you are self taught and you hire a laborer who has 5 years experience are you going to be able to handle him pointing out dumb mistakes as he is constantly telling you there is a better way?

If your still interested break up your questions and post them one at a time like accounts equipment and so on but be aware it’s a bit more involved then you think.

5. TyDaMan

TyDaMan LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

yea im definitly still interested. i know its goin to be a ton of hard work and a lot of learning the trade. but im willing to learn and work my ass off. the reason why i came to this site is to start my learnings. i thought the best way to learn and ask questons from people with first hand experience.

Thanks

Ty

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Hehehehe so your still interested that is good to hear since we know your experience how bout you give us some details on what you have to work with.

#1 how much cash do you have saved up to start this venture?

#2 what do you plan to drive from job to job do you have a pick up do you plan on a trailer or are you considering ramps?

#3 do you have any customers at all i.e. friends and family and referrals or are we starting from scratch?

#4 have you secured a trade name yet at your town hall?

#5 what kind of advertising have you thought about?

I could probably add 25 more items to that list but start with that and were see where you stand.

7. TyDaMan

TyDaMan LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

hey i appreciate your replys. but do you have icq or msn?
    i think it would be easier to talk that way.

Anyways i will not be planin on startin in 2004. i have met a guy my age that has his own LCO and i hope to be workin with him in 2004. I think he was netting about a grand a week. is that good money for lawn care? or is it more or less.

my goal right now is to get all the experince i can before i jump into this.

But ummm for money i have a few grand at the moment but i dont have a truck or anything so i will have to invest in one aswell. What do you think ill be lookin at with truck, trailer and all the equiptment?

so yea i havent put to much thought about any names or advertising yet. like i said just tryin to get all the info possible.

Thanks

Ty

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I had a long detailed reply made then lost it. You will need at least $10-15,000 to start and that is if you eat bred and butter for the first month. If you had a truck allready you would be a little better off.

I say go far it, but just remember that your not going to go cut grass for an hour and say wow I just made $50. You have to pay that $10-15,000 back even if it to yourself before you can even say you made a penny. I say live off as little as you possibly can for the first year until you close the books just to see how little you really made. A lot of guys will go out and say wow $50 by the time they pay for gas for the day. put some back for equipment replacement, taxes, Oh, I'm not going to list them all But just remember, paper clips and envelopes cost money too.

My point is, That too many people think this is easy money. Don't get me wrong, It can be if done right. But don't be fooled by the guys bragging about all they make. Most likely they are not operating under the law. and they are not considering the $10 they spent at walmart buying envelopes and computer paper as an expense. They just know that when they reached in their pocket they had $10.

9. Kelly's Landscaping

TyDaMan

You don’t have the icq in your profile so post it in here and ill see if I cant icq you tonight

10. TyDaMan

TyDaMan LawnSite Member
    from Ontario