Nor Easter next week maybe?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare18, Nov 18, 2005.

1. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

I see eveyrone worried about snow and rain. I have been hearing reports of a HUGE nor easter sometime maybe tues into wens and thurs with very cold temps along with it for the north east???? Anyone have any thoguhts... I know it mgiht mean a lot of money for people but also means posibly plowing on Thanksgiving day? and prob more stress for you who havent finished cleanups yet....
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ill be out doing cleanups in it!!!! It sure isn't going to be fun but will do it. Hope it is just some light snow though. But, i have a feeling thats not what is going to happen!!The weather not working in my favor, nothing new here!!
  3. kirk brown

kirk brown LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

i haven`t had any cleanups for a week now and i`m getting ready for my first season doing snow.i`m a little nervous about it so i want the first snow to be over and done with.(only snowbowing around 9 driveways)
    we have about 2cm on the ground now, and my pool is frozen over.
  4. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im waiting untill atleast sunday to even worry about it.They cant predict a storm good enough this far off. It sounds like it will be mostly rain for connecticut anyways.
  5. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

i saw that forcast. My same thoughts. The day before Thanksgiving is usually a big day for me . My son is off school and helps out. People are getting ready for t-day and in a good mood. We hit them with full service cleanups[ gutters, cleanout beds and mulch leaves] . Windy and cold with a chance of snow showers forcast for WED. the sunday after we also work but they are calling for snow too. There is some nice $$ sitting out there so I hope the forcasters miss at least one day. I usually go into 1st or 2nd wk of Dec. and its all over.
  6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What exactly does a nor easter mean? I hear it a few times but not sure its meaning.

We don't say a nor midwester for snow storms we get we just say a snow storm. :D
  7. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Storm that rides up the coast.. for me in upper NYS it will mean rain propably tuesday chaning to snow .. and the winds on the back side will most likly produce some seirous snow. Nor easters canbe very bad storms ...
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

A Nor Easter is a ocean storm very similar to a hurricane but without the tropical characteristics. They ride up the east coast and pump moisture inland from the warm Gulf Stream over top of very cold artic air. When conditions are just right you can get blizzard conditions for days on end. Feet of snow and hurricane force winds are not unusual. Here in Maryland Nor Easters are responsible for more damage to our ocean coastline than hurricanes and we easily attribute more deaths to them.

We get every kind of weather disaster there is on the east coast including blistering heat and humidity, tornados, hurricanes, floods, forest fires, drought, Nor Easters, below zero temps and blizzards. It's a fine place to live.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I'm still waited for all the leaves to fall before I start full clean-ups. 3 men 6 days should do it. I don't want to hear a d@mn thing about snow until I'm done.:cry: :angry:
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If you plow snow, it means big time CHA-CHING!!! God I love those storms.:D