Nora Grant Problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gregory, Sep 9, 2007.

1. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a ixora (nora grant) and the leaves are not a dark green they are more if a light green more like a yellow/green color anybody know whats wrong with it i applied some ixora fertilizer back in july and after that it turn this color.....

2. Kopp Tennis

Kopp Tennis LawnSite Member

Gregory,

I was hoping you could send me your contact information, I needed some help with a job in Naples.

Thanks
    Hans

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Hey Karl:
    Give that plant a good healthy bag of Sheep Manure. After a couple of weeks that plant should develop a deep waxy leaf. If it don't it may have some nematodes attaching it--let's hope not. First try the sheep manure. DO NOT USE COW MANURE as it is almost useless....Next chice wuld be Horse manure. There's a lot going on with the micro-nurtrients that is beyond notes.
    Roy

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Karl

You called my cell phone back in July about these Nora Grants, I was in Vegas at the time if you remember. I told you at that time to use acid forming Fertilizer and to Hit them 3 times a year Feb, May and Oct. Our Calcareous Sand has a very high pH and soil locks fertilizer. Try applying sulfur to lower the pH, 10 pounds will lower 1000 sq ft one point in 30 days. A cup of White Household Vinegar mixed in a gallon of water will lower pH for a short period of time and release the soil bound fertilizer (mainly Minor Elements) for the Plant to up take some.

Taiwan Dwarf Ixora are prone to root rot fungus and sometimes Nora Grant can be effected by it also. Treat with a Copper Sulfate drench.

RAlmaroad

While Ixora Malui are prone to nematodes, Nora Grant are a Man made culivar that is resistant to nematodes.

5. RAlmaroad

from SC

Ric: I did not know that about the plant Ixora Malui. Those Nora Grants are beautiful, but more than that I AM SO GLAD TO SEE PUT A POST EVERY NOW AND THEN. I've missed your wisdom. Happy Thankgiving. Roy

6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

ixoras, depending on where they are, usually suffer from ph problems.
    ditto on ricks comments, also if you are spraying them lescos high manganese combo is a GREAT addition, you could even use a watering can. lots of sulfur.

7. RAlmaroad

from SC

Ric, Olive, Karl or others: My lawn was just infested with Asiatic Hawksbeard. Was not there last year and I have no idea where the seed came from other than a flock of birds roosting in the trees as there are not plants in the open area. I tried the benzaton on it but so far nothing and that was two weeks ago. The real problem was the Dimension that I applied May 1st just gave out. Would you guys advise a second Pre-Emergent application about Mid-July to carry on through the long growing season that we experience in SC. I do not like the idea of another application of Atrazine, pre-em and post-em. Any suggestions as to timing.
    Thanks, and the Happiest of Thanksgivings to everyone.
    Roy

8. gregory

tks for the info guys i am only have a problem with one nora grant.i already put out some sulfur on the whole yard to lower the ph i am sure i got some sulfur on and around the nora grant i will see if that takes care of it.....

roy i don't know what to tell you on that

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Karl

Try a Copper Sulfate Drench

10. gregory

tks ric where can you find that?