Normal Wear ?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Dan1944, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

My Mini Z 52" with 160 hours on it threw the blade belt off of the idler pully today when I engaged the PTO. I have felt for about a week now, that the blades might have been slipping a bit. I remounted the belt and adjusted the idler adjustment chain one link tighter. I know all belts stretch a bit . Is this considered a normal wear adjustment ?. All pulleys are free turning and not binding. I will get a new belt tommrow. thanks for any advice.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Belts do stretch.
    That is why we use the tensioning system that we do.
    I would not think you need to replace the belt unless it was damaged when it came off the pulley.
    There are several factors that may have made your belt come off, was the unit in tall grass ? what engine speed was the belt engaged at ?, these are just a couple items that could come into play.
    Let us know how you make out.

Later
    Pj

3. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply, I mowed all day with the old belt adjusted 1 link tighter. I was right in feeling that the belt was slipping a bit, that has disappeared and also the ever so slight smell of burning rubber is gone. The belt slipped off now that I think back, when I engaged the PTO at a higher rpm then normal. I am a nut case about changing oil, oil filter and air filters at 30 (oil and Filter) and 50 hours (air filter) and greasing the zerks but this just slipped by on me. This is the only problem I have has in 150 hours (and it was my fault). HUSTLER RULES.

PS I did have my dealer order me a new belt.