1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Normally I would never do this.....

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Drafto, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member

I was on an estimate the other day and to take a good picture of the proposed project area I had to go up on the neighbors lawn and I found this. After I saw this I asked the homeowner if she was getting any other estimates, she let me know that a guy that did work next door (the house in the pic) had given her an estimate.

These are $800,000 homes, I find it embarrassing at times when this is the work I am bidding against. Maybe the neighbors are thrilled with this work, who knows, but stuff like this is a reflection on ANYONE that installs pavers.

(Sorry if you did this work Mbella)

Edge_Parikh.jpg

2. Drafto

Oh, and the homes are less than 1 year old, this house was likely moved into in September!

Dan

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

That looks like Mbella's signature restraining system. (patent pending)

Chris

4. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I believe in efficiency. That's curbing and edging all in one.

Chris, where's my free 1550. I called Dean and he said YOU WON, with my ticket! Give it up!

5. cgland

UUHHH! UUUMMM! UUHHH! I didn't steal your Wacker! I stole your tool bag kit! lol

Chris

6. mbella

I'm giving you until noon on Monday to turn it over to me. Otherwise, I'm sending Gino to retrieve it.

Oh, and the Wacker, you better come up with one of them too.

7. Drafto

We should have gone to Annapolis, MD and had a 100% of getting a bag and a 1 in 16 chance of getting the compactor! I never to got to finish telling you guys that the Techo IS more expensive then the EP Henry. It is competitive but definatley more expensive.

The stairs and walls designs were completely different from what was discussed at the Versa-Loc seminar the other day.

Oh and I don't think just having insurance and a few job pics should be enough to get you in the program.

Dan

8. cgland

I think the 12 month "no ICPI" grace period is BS!

Chris

9. Drafto

I argree, I can understand the NCMA maybe, but everyone in the room was ICPI certified, that should at least be the minimum standard.

I wanted to raise my hand and ask them if they were going to have re-certification yearly, or job inspections yearly......I really think programs like this need to be monitored. My experience is so little, it would be nice to have someone come out every now and then and critique my work. I think it is nice and neat, never had an unhappy customer, but it would be nice to have at lest yearly inspections.

I mean, someone else needed to catch that cut Mike put on his first driveway besides me.

Dan

10. mbella

Dan, you are so wrong about that which you speak. There was a very good reason for that cut.

When the day comes that you can drag yourself from whichever all you can eat buffet you park yourself at these days, I would be happy to explain it to you.