1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

North Carolina LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PCM-LC, May 3, 2004.

1. PCM-LC

PCM-LC LawnSite Member

Just a warning to LCO's I had a friend that got a ticket from the NCDA for just having Round up on his trailer and not having the liscense for Ornment and Turf from the state. He was at a mini mart buying gas. The fine is $2000!! He could have followed him to each account that day and fined him $2000 for each stop.

I am scheduled to take the test on 5/19/04 and will not have Round up on my trailer until I get my liscense.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I could be wrong, but I thought they could only bust you if they catch you spraying it. Who's to say your friend had just bought the Round Up and was going to use it on his own yard??
  3. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

here in ny you need your license to just have pesticides in your truck/trailer
  4. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

5. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

I'm also glad that the fines are being enforced. My neighbor has some yokel cutting her yard and was spraying round-up around her fence line and I asked him if he was licensed (being the smartelic I am). He said what do you mean by licensed. I explained it and he laughed and told me he would spray whatever he wants when he wants and the NCDA could kiss his arse. I think if these fines are publicized these attitudes may change.
  6. triadncman

triadncman LawnSite Member

Round up??....give me a break!!!! Thats the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I hear people with spraying lisences crying in here all the time about people spraying without a lisence....Fine I agree.....people that arent trained and educated and lisenced should not be going around trying to pose as chem-lawn spraying industrial strength chemicals, but round-up can be bought by any tom, dick, or harry at any lawn & garden store on the face of the earth. If some old lady whos 90 years old can go buy it and spray it at her house then any LCO should be able to. If unlisenced people spraying dangerous chemicals is such a widespread problem, then why not do like they do with all other dangerous items, make it where you have to present your lisence upon purchase and put the burden of control on the people profiting from the stuff. Then fine them if they sell to someone unlisenced. Its good enough for Beer, but not pestisides and herbicides??? I dont get it. I occasionally spray round up on accounts, but I network with another company that sprays the good stuff if that need arises, it works out good. Bottom line ...its bullcrap..if i cant possess it then neither can joe shmoe on his way home from Home Depot with it in his trunk.
  7. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have been licensed in NC since 1990, but I was always under the impression you only needed your license if you were spraying for pay on someone else's property. In that case it seems they would have to see the person actually making an application before he would be in violation.

Why don't you ask the test monitor this question when you take your test, and let us know?

By the way......I agree that whatever the law is I am glad if they are going to start inforcing it with a heavy hand. The time, effort, and expense it took me to get my license and then keep it (annual fee and recertification credits) are all factors in my pricing. It bothers me that some scrub can avoid those efforts and then underbid me........not to mention the safety and health issues he may be causing.