North Carolina

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Tony Harrell, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've been a commercial certified structural pest applicator since '95 working for Orkin, Prism, and Ecolab doing restaurants and hotels. I've left that to go full time with my lawn service and am in the process of testing for my NC license. (1) Can I do this from my home? (2) I'd like to do ornamental, is this a phase of structural? Also, anybody with insurance info? Who, where, how much? Thanks guys. Sorry, reference (1) above, can I do pest from my home?

2. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

Each type of pesticide control requires a different class of license. For turf and ornamental you would need a catagory L license. As for working out of your home, as long as the pesticides are stored proper and you can mix them properly, I don't think there would be a problem. I don't recall that in the study manual for license. But you must have the correct license catagory for the type of work being performed. No ifs ands or buts...

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

4. Tony Harrell

I found the info for ornamental and turf. It's simply a matter of sending in $45 for a study manual and setting up 2 days for the school and the test. There was no mention of insurance requirements like there are for the structural pest license. Will this ornamental and turf certification cover the fertilizer application also? Anyone?

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Sorry, as I said all your questions can be found there. They have a phone number listed which can answer any questions you may have. (919) 733-3556

To answer part of your question the link from the above goes here: http://ipmwww.ncsu.edu/ncpat/liccert2.htm

For the insurance questions call you agent. Yes it covers fertilizer applications also.

6. Tony Harrell

Well, I'm set for the "L" phase soon. As a side note, I found out yesterday that the shop where I'm buying my equipment holds seminars for recertification credits. COOL!!! This is going to be a lot more satisfying and less complicated than working for a big company. Thought to self--Why didn't I do this 20 years ago?