North Texas start date and frequency

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Patriots, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Thinking about a move back to North Texas, Metroplex, and had a question as to the number of mows you guys get a season. On average what is the start and end date, and frequency of your seasonal contracts .... first few weeks bi-weekly into a weekly maintenance and then bi-weekly at the end? I would really appriciate any help - and promise not to compete with y'all.*lol*

2. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

So when you were there before did you mow? Thinking about a move back to North Texas?

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Everything can change with the weather. Here is what most years seem like. Start about March1 - 15. Weekly through mid July. Biweekly till end of season about Dec.1. Leaf cleanup in Dec. and maybe first week of Jan. Take it easy from Jan. until season starts again.
    If we get a wet summer, you could mow weekly through Aug. or Sept.
    Seems like 32 - 38 mowings is the norm for me.

4. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Born and raised just outside of Waco - heading back for the weather and family. Bi-weekly from july to December, you don't run into lots of problems with that - seems like a long grow time in there.

I would really appriciate the advice from others in the Metroplex.

Thanks.

5. kdbetters

kdbetters LawnSite Member

My official start time is March 7. I will mow till about mid november each season. Actually because of the weather last year I mowed until late november early december. I was born in waco too, but now live in Arlington.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Most of my accounts are commercial, and they do not run sprinklers much, so biweekly works fine from July on. Even my residential lawns with sprinklers running, do not usually require more than biweekly after mid July. Then, if we get one good cool spell in Oct., the grass just quits growing. If you have two or three nights where temps. get in the mid-upper 50's, the grass just goes dormant. It will stay green, but will not grow.
    Now having said that, this past year, we mowed weekly all season until Nov.
    Of course, we also had one of the wettest summers in history.

7. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

kd -

Do you go weekly from March to November, or change it up to bi-weekly at any point. Also, residential or commercial accounts?

8. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Season typically starts March 14 and I cut weekly until the end of November.

9. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Zak18 -

Typically Bermuda? What height do you go with?