North Vs Siuth

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by summergrove, Dec 5, 2003.

1. summergrove

summergrove LawnSite Member

Noones going to rise again. Just wondering is it more profitable to be in a warmer southern climate with a longer mow season. Or do you guys really rake it in plowing snow.

2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Put down the busch beer and step away from the key pad.

3. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I think I could be more profitable to be in a northern state. The south has a longer mowing season, but rates I think are lower and we seem to have more cheapskates. I think the rates will lower in the north as immagration saturates.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

it is to cold 4 the boarder jumpers up here u can keep them in the south the prices up here vary greatly don't believe all u read :laugh:
    many people have lost there jobs in my area and they get a 21"mower and off they go 2 mow as 4 snow i think there are more idiots plowing than mowing every soccer-mom has a plow on her suv.
    so do what u have to to get by just keep the price high

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

hahahaha....lol:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

6. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

damn son, tighten up. we aint never gonna win the war askin questions like that.:rolleyes:

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Too cold here in WV for gringos.As for plowing, we make a very good income from it. BUT-I was at my plow dealer picking up some parts yesterday, and he told me last year they sold 51 new plows. So far this year, they have sold 92, with 37 waiting for installation. So as Dusty said, everyone wants to plow.Here in WV, almost three out of four people already have a 4WD, so 2-3k for a plow, and away they go ,driving prices down to make some beer money. We do mainly commercial plowing, and I have seen some really funny stuff watching these snowscrubs "plow" a driveway or parking lot.:dizzy: When someone sees a sight like that, they don't even balk at my price:D

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

LMAO:D

9. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

impactlandscaping,

You did not major in spanish did you. gringo means white man in spanish. Just having some fun and trying to catch up with summergrove on the cold ones.

10. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

There is more money to be made salting parking lots than there is pushing snow because it's so constant. If it snows, we plow it out, and then we salt it, but often there is no snow - just freezing drizzle. When that parking lot at Home Depot is reflecting light like a black shiney mirror we have to get over there and salt it. Sometimes, we are back every three or four hours. At the end of the season, if you keep your billing for services separated, so that you can track your income sources, we often make much more from salting than from plowing per year.

When there is a decent storm howling through, each truck with one driver should produce $200 + per hour gross revenue for you. The dollars per hour can vary widley though. It makes a big difference in how close together the properties are, and how much time you spend getting there. Also , what is your mix of residentials and commercial customers.

Commercial customers you will have a contract with and you can count on them for a much more regular income stream [remember the salting] The residentials will actually pay you much more per minute that you spend on their property, but they don't want you unless it's pretty bad out there, and they really don't want to have you back 2 or three times in 24 hours like sometimes happens with the commercial accts.

If you have a lot of residentials that are very close together, and these are subdivision houses with 30 ft to 80 ft drives, and if your truck is set up with a rear dragger blade and a front vee blade, you can back up the drive to the garage door, drop the rear blade and pull foreward 20 ft. lift the blade and back up again to the doors, drop the front blade and push the snow out to the street. we can actually average 4 to 6 minutes per driveway at $30, $35, or $40 per drive. This will produce about $400 per hour, per truck under absolutly ideal conditions. It is very hard to keep this efficiency up for long though. Over all $200 per hour is what it will finally fall back to.