North vs. South

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ken50, Aug 23, 2004.

1. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

Boy, after reading these posts, it sure seems like the profit potential is much bigger up north. You have more leaf jobs, lawn renovations, seeding, snowplowing....the list goes on and on, with things you guys have up there that we don't have in the south, or so it seems at least. You guys must be getting RICH!

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah :rolleyes: I make so much money it's sick.

3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Probably advantages to both but I've never worked in the South or the NE for that matter. All I can say about my little corner of the world, the Pacific Northwest, is that we have very little extreme's in temp and weather, work pretty much year round, everything is almost always growing and green. It's been said that in the PNW you could stick a pencil in the dirt and grow a pencil tree! It's a great place to live, work and play with plants.

4. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Service for service, dollar for dollar, COLA.........

Not easy to compare.

More likely an understanding of being a service business, and being good or bad at it, combined with the owners intent for said service business is what drives"success" no matter where you are, or what you are doing.

Since we're a particular trade of service and we are all doing the same things- you must then really only wonder whether a particular person desires to contiually grow his solo -op up to the point of fifty trucks and hundred emplyees or is quite successfull and happy to be a solo op that will be able to retire someday?

MONEY, is not necessarily the driving force.

I have had a headache or two in my life that noone could pay me for.

Intangibles.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, but doesn't that working in the rain alot kind of bum ya out???

6. dkeisala

Not really - besides, with global warming it's almost tropical around here these days! Yeah, it rains plenty here but you gotta take the good with the bad. More rain = more growth = more work!

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You forgot the "more money" part...lol

8. dkeisala

You'd hope that would be the case!

9. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting filthy rich up here. A house lot of 22K s.f., in my town, costs you a minimum of $225K. That's just the uncleared lot. The minimum a house sells for here is $360K. Sister-in-law is a real estate agent. She knows.Lucky me, I own 8 house lots, and am sitting on them for a few more years...then BINGO. Real estate is where the money is up here, not in the lawn business.

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Real estate IS the ticket. Prices around here have doubled or more over just the last few years. And realtors get a percentage of that. And they sell so fast around here, the agents don't really have to "work" like they used to.

You gotta admire an industry that you can get into with a minimum of training and easily pull in 6 figures.