Northeast Juniper Damage

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GreenMonster, May 30, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Hey Northeast guys,

Obviously, most of you have also noticed extensive damage and/or death to many different varieties of juniper this year. I have noticed this as far south as NY city. Lots of brown in blue pacific, prostrate, sea green, and others.

Do you attribute this to the very cold & windy winter, with little snow cover as insulation?

Anybody nursing anything back to life with success?

2. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

yeah removing a lot of brown junipers with new oness

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Junipers, boxwoods, Alberta Spruce, and a few others took a beating this past winter.

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, noticing lots of damage to cherry and skip laurels, also.

5. TREEGODFATHER

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

I've noticed alot more than usual. I agree; the extreme cold we had and little snow probably didn't help much.

I've also noticed adelgid in alot more areas, too. Looks like it's still spreading.

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ya a bunch of the ilex's and junipers in my area took a beating too.

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Sorry, don't know what that is. Can you elaborate?

8. Jb3NH

Jb3NH LawnSite Member

Ditto on KenH's Reply.. ' got two seasons in new hampshirahh, wintahh. . N fourth of July ' coldest winter in 50 years

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

We don't have to deal with it too much down here, though it is around. I'm not sure I've even seen it, to be honest.

What Eric is referring to is wooly adelgid. From what I understand, it most commonly attacks hemlocks. There's probably other treatments, but the main one that I know of is a soil drench of Merit.

HTH.

Dan

10. ShadyTree

ShadyTree LawnSite Member

They also have soaps and oil that they use for the wooly adelgid, the most common one used here are oils and if you spray early enough you wont cure it but you will prevent it from dieing and plus the oils last longer and protect it longer.