Northeastern Soccer Field Renovation

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by nighthawk117, Sep 27, 2009.

1. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Guys, am I out of time for a complete renovation of a field in the northeast. I have only a few more overseedings left in the residential areas. If there are any of you that are big into athletic fields let me know, Thanks :confused:

2. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

When does it need to be back in play? The high school season here has boys playing fall soccer and girls play in spring. There is not much growing and recovery time between the two.

Are you talking about a complete kill and reseed or more extensive than that, such as re-grading or amending the soil? It is late but if it is not needed first thing next spring, and you can begin this week it can probably be done. If the field does not have an irrigation system I don't think I would tackle it this late. It will require a lot of babysitting to bring it in, plus luck, lots of fertilizer, and frequent mowing.

3. nighthawk117

from MA

Yup, I believe you hit the nail on the head. The field has been taken over with poa annual, some creeping bentgrass (so it seems) and a bit of clover, the goal mouths were sodded approx 4 years ago and are beat to hell with no overseeding ever done. The feilds are not irrigated, so a portable cannon will be needed for water. I want to spray it with Round up pro max and touch up the low spots as far a grading goes, and slice seed the whole thing, but feel that there just isnt enough time. The kids will be off the field 3rd week in Oct. Not a great situation at all. :confused:

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I take it you have never done a dormant seeding either. How soon do they start on it next season?

5. nighthawk117

from MA

Well, looks like this will be done in the early fall next year. It is out for discussion if they would rather sod the field and have irrigation installed also.Time will tell.:)

6. TheFieldBuilders

TheFieldBuilders LawnSite Member

Call Grove and pick his brains. He's been in the business for 25 years constructing and renovating fields nationwide...including fed ex field....:)

7. TheFieldBuilders

TheFieldBuilders LawnSite Member

Grove 800-292-8420 Alpine Services, Inc