northern grass height

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trophytkr, Feb 14, 2002.

1. trophytkr

trophytkr LawnSite Member

Starting new this year. I'm in northeastern wisconsin. You guys that mow northern grasses what do you recommend for cutting height? Thanks again guys;)
  2. jerry johnston

jerry johnston LawnSite Member
    from SE MN

I have been cutting grass in SE Minnesota for the past three years, and the recommeded height for Kentucky Blue grass, rye and fescu grass is 2-2 1/2 inches. Sharpen you blades often.

3. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

We cut most of our properties at 2.50 inches. You can cut Kentucky Blue Grass from 2.0 - 3.50 inches. I would not go lower than 2 inches in this area. Also we set the cutting heights in the garage or on the street. This way all the mowers are set the same. Allow for a slight drop in cutting height when you get the mower on the grass.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Fescue 3 to 3.5 inches here in Kansas.

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

ohio here i generally cut at 3.5 but do have some at 3 and 4.... in the fall for the last cut most are 3 and there are a few that are basically all weeds that i will cut down to 2.5
  6. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

3" and up, don't you have scalping problems at 2.5"?
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Hey buddy, I'm about 50 miles from you in De Pere and I'm bettin we have the same types of grass but I think you are in sandier soil.
    My heights are for KY Blue predominantly mixed with red fescue and rye.
    Spring 2-2.5"
    Summer (mid June thru beginning of Sept.) 3-3.5 on non irrigated.
    2.5 to 3 on irrigated.
    fall 2.5"
    final 2"

Its been workin real well for me.
  8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

MOW ED is right on the money. Only qualification is if you have any all tall fescue lawns, you might want to go 1/2 inch higher most of the year; helps them look better because they grow so fast at shorter heights.