Northern guys- overseeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CMland, Aug 7, 2014.

1. CMland

CMland LawnSite Member

What is everyone overseeding with on rye/kbg/fescue lawns after aeration? Seems nicer tall fescue blends are the popular choice with a shade mix if in more densely shaded area.

Anyone tweaking choice of seed to particular lawns? Buying a bunch of tall fescue for most lawns? I like rye for winter overseeding but use mostly tall fescue in late summer/fall. Have used KBG but have worried it doesn't establish well in overseeding after aerations.
  2. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I have used a few different mixes over the years and think I'm going to really turn to the tttf for a lot of lawns this year. It seems that the PRG that is in the blends I have used is very weak. Just not impressed with some of the past seedings I have done.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Perennial rye is good in an overseeding situation because it has great seedling vigor--however--perennial rye is not suited to high temperatures; it prefers less than 90. Rye has a few disease problems; be sure to plant a premium type. And of course it has no rhizomes, does not spread.
    Fiesta 4 is an excellent cultivar.
  4. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

It would be interesting to see just how much KBG germinates and survives in an overseed situation in existing turfgrass. If it is indeed little to none, then why even attempt to try it?

I do like TTTF myself, perhaps mixing in some premium Per Rye for quick germination.
  6. nighthawk117

from MA

I have seen plenty of it germinate and grow but never see it until the following season, I hold off the pre in the spring until its close to our prime GDD for it. Seems to work okay, but not ideal for all yards.
  7. nighthawk117

from MA

I also grow it at home in a bowl to see the quality,rate of germination. Also to show clients where the roots are and explain that water needs to reach them, not the leaves with a daily light watering :hammerhead:
  8. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used several hundred pounds of a mix containing that RPR with determinate stolons. So far so good. All of the areas where I used it have heavy traffic/wear: a football field, a busy youth baseball infield, and a dog run.
  9. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

We have a few mixes we use for over seeding. A 30/35/35 blend of KBG, triRye, fescue mix. That gets used on most our overseeing and hydro seeding jobs. We also use a 50/50 KBG triRye blend.
  10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I use this blend on everything around my area. I am in the transition zone and the thermal blue really seems to thrive here where normal bluegrass typically dies out in the summers.

Here is a summer germination thread I started. I forgot about it so I never updated it. The spot filled in completely and is thriving. I will get a picture later and post it.