Northern Tools Skid Sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnspecialties, Oct 29, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I just saw in Northern's Fall/Winter Catalog they have a 5hp 200 gal. Skid Sprayer. It looks somewhat similar to Lesco's but the biggest difference is it's about $1000 cheaper. It has to be truck shipped and right now there is a delay. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this model, especially when compared to the Lesco sprayer? :)

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_811705_811705

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This will certainly be an interesting subject, if nothing else. Just like about all equipment that Northern Tools sells, there are differences - if you know what to look for. In this case, there is a big difference in the pump. I've never had to get parts for a "Comet" pump, nor, would I like to. The reel, I'm certain, is not a Hannay, and I have no idea what the tank quality is like. The hose may be alright. No idea what kind of gun it has. I would love to hear from others who have experience with BOTH sprayer, myself.

3. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

its all about the motor and the pump. As long as it is an electric reel there is no difference other than a "name". My hannay was smashed in an accident and replacement parts were outrageous. I got no name parts and a new electric motor. Been using it for over 5 years now and no problem. Its a poly tank thats what lesco uses also.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

never heard of the pump they use

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

See if you can get up with GRASS-SCAPES that post on here and is from my area. He has one and has said good things and bad things about it.

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

the frame looks weak! the hose real and pump would probably be ok, but I rather have the tried and tested Hanny real and hypro d30. and by the time you pay the shipping you will be close to the lesco price. you should watch ebay, I just got a lesco 200 gal sprayer for $340. even if I have to replace the Honda 5.5 and rebuild the hypro pump I wont have $800 in it.

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

there is a guy down near you that has a almost new lesco space saver 200 gal. that he is selling, last I saw i think he said 2k would take it, I just paid over 3 for mine. look in the market place.
    here it is....http://new.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=162588
    I kinda hate to say it this way but knowing what I paid and how much i like mine.. your a fool not to chase this one down. I would have if he had been a month earlier.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._811705_811705

Been there Done That

Several years ago I bought the Northern 200 gal skid sprayer with a 5.5 Honda, But a D 30 Hydro pump.

Frame rusted away and the Hose reel which was a Hanna was a gear drive instead of a chain. The drive gear burned up because of misalignment and after replacing it twice I gave up on it being a power rewind. I believe the reel was bend before I bought it.

Today the Honda & D 30 and 300 feet of hose are in the shed and the 200 gal tank is on the ground. Everything else has gone to Sprayer Heaven.

9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto , we had the same rig, same 5.5 Honda and D-30 pump.My brother purchased one as well , his had the same rig and frame.The welds that held the hose reel to the frame broke lose after only a weeks use.

Unless the northern has drastically updated the quality , don't walk away , run from a northern purchase.

10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Enough said. I'll get the Lesco. Thanks:)