Northern's skid sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Williams Services, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

I got Northern's catalog in and noticed they have a 200 gallon skid sprayer for $2200. The pump is a comet diaphragm 7.7 gpm, engine Honda 5.5hp ohc, 300' of hose, pressure goes up to 435 psi. What are your thoughts? Why the difference in price from Lesco's 200 gallon, at about $3500?

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

because lesco over charges for everything???

3. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

I have had both.

I currently have the lesco in use

Do a search and you might find out some things, and you get what you pay for in a lot of cases in my opinion.

EG

4. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

I've heard that the skid on the Northern unit is very lightly built, and will not hold up well. Also, the Comet pump is not on the same quality level as the Hypro pump on the Lesco unit. Also, check out the pressure ratings and construction of the spray hose on the Northern sprayer versus the Lesco. Like I said, I haven't seen one of the Northern units except for the pics in the catalog, but I HAVE seen and used a Lesco unit, and I would definitely spend the extra cash just because of the higher quality. Talk about it being overpriced all you want, but you do get what you pay for as far as spray equipment is concerned. You might check out Wylie sprayers, also. They make on of the best skid units on the market.

5. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

What sprayers do you have now and what do you plan to do in the future/

6. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

EG - BP sprayers as of now ... just started this company in Feb. so I'm working on a shoestring budget (sound familiar?) and buying as it grows. These sprayers won't do all that I need to get done, though, so I am looking at new purchases - soon. I've actually thought some about setting up an ATV type set-up, with a truckster on the front and a rear-mounted sprayer. Would be a cheap and efficient (apparently) set-up ... right around $5-6k, trailer included. And a lot more profitable than the last $9k mower I bought ...

7. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a Lesco 200 Gallon space saver. I had one of these before and ran it every day (9 months out of a year) for 4 years without a problem. Yes, they are more. You do get what you pay for. It is a good sprayer.

8. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

And consider shipping charges. Several years ago after looking at the Northern, doing a search on here and calling Northern to find out shipping here was going to be $500.00, I bought a space saver.

9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I heard that the diaphram is difficult to get to on the space saver. Do any of you use a 200 gallon tank and then a smaller 35-50 gallon tank for the chemical mix?

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Williams

Been there done that. Spend a little more get a lot more. Northern skid sprayer have good motors and pumps mounted on cheap frames. If you spray any thing that is corrosive they will rust away. BTW the electric hose reel isn't worth much either.

Nelbuts

You might try a small 50 gallon skid sprayer with a 200 gallon Northern tank with a Marine Bilge pump to transfer. This might not be the best set up compared to a drop tank. However could be a nice starter set up. Don't overlook electric 12 V pumps for spot spraying weeds. Tractor Supply has some complete setups for $ 125.00