1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Nosey Neighbors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Jul 3, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Last Sunday, when I was done for the day, I swung over to my house to cut my own lawn. I was done with that by about 7pm and then I just chilled at my house for a while before taking the equipment back to the shop. I took it back around 9pm. I took Monday off, and I was on my way out the door on Tues morning when I heard a knock. Turned out to be an ordinance inforcement officer for the county. Someone in the neighborhood complained about me keeping my equipment at my house and running my business from my home. I laughed at the guy. I told him there was no equipment anywhere on my property and invited him to look around. I had even taken my signs off the truck on Monday to get the truck washed. So I showed him around the yard, the shed out back. I don't even keep a push mower at home!

So I asked the guy who complained. He wouldn't tell me. I explained that sometimes I bring the truck and trailer past the house to cut my own lawn, or stop by to eat before I call it a day, for lunch, etc. I asked him if that was a problem. He said nope, as long as I didn't keep the stuff at the house permanently. Then he said there wasn't any violations and left.

So, one of my neighbors is a nosey pita. They better hope I don't find out who it was. I've been here for over a year, never heard any complaints. I think it might be a new neighbor.

The ordinance guy looked bummed that he didn't catch me doing something wrong, though.

2. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

That's bad luck. I can understand a neighbor complaining if you were parking the trailer in front of your house overnight, every day. They live next door. They ought to be able to figure out that you don't do that.

It's one thing if you're too cheap to pay for storage. It's another thing entirely when you're spending the money to keep the equipment out of your neighborhood and you still get complaints. Some people just enjoy b!tching, I think.

I pay over $1,500 per year in storage fees to avoid this. There is a plumber about 15 doors up from who parks his trailer in front of his house every night. It pizzes me off. Here I am paying all this money to keep my ugly equipment out of the neighborhood and he's cheap and saves a bundle. I figure sooner or later the HOA or the city will get after him or something.

DFW Area Landscaper
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I dont understand these laws or maybe its because I live in the sticks in Georgia. I keep my equipent parked in my back yard. Its bad when we live in a free country but still cant park our livelyhooor or employment in our on d$%#n yard, absolutly rediculous! BTW I think some folks just live to whine or complain like your pita neighbor. I dont care what my neighbor does, run naked or pizz in his yard as long as he does not bother me and my kids, but thats just me.

Quality Lawn Care
  4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell your neighbor you are protected by Section 8, Federal Law.

When the neighbor gives you that dumb HUH? look.....

Say yes, Section 8.

You piss me off enough and I move out, and rent my house to Section 8 tenants. Explain to them that the Federal Gov't guarantees the rent will be paid to you.

Your neighbor's hard earned tax dollars will then be directly applied to subsidizing section 8 tenants in his neighborhood.

BTW....the complaining neighbor is generally not your next door neighbor or neighbor directly across from you. You will usually discover it is someone 3 or more homes away, across the street, or on a street behind you.

IF YOU LIVE IN A RURAL AREA: Don't forget your Federal Right to Farm. If you have a fussy neighbor explain to them that if they continue to rant, you will become a hog farmer. Tell thy neighbor: Pigs or mowers, you pick. :gunsfirin

Now, of course you want to be a decent person and not disturb people unfairly in their homes. But, no matter how nice you try to be, somebody will always complain. Beyond normal courtesy, don't give an inch. If you give at all, the problem will get worse. Don't worry about making an enemy, the party involved is obviously not friendworthy anyway.
  5. samk

samk LawnSite Member

I dont understand these laws you guys have. ordinace police?
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

This area I live in is zoned for residential. You cannot run a business in a residential zone, and that includes storing equipment in your yard. I live in a subdivision of sorts, a little neighborhood with small lots/houses. I understand not wanting to have someone running a business out of a residential neighborhood. I wouldn't want that either. THat's why I pay so much to keep my business away from my house.

BUT, on average, I bring home the trailer and park it out front for maybe 30 minutes a pop, two or three times a week maybe. It's not exactly taking up a ton of space, nor is it an eyesore. And it's in front of my house!

My dad was a truck driver, an otr mover. He would bring his truck by the house every so often. Some butt head down the street complained and the police said he couldn't park it in front of our house overnight anymore. The guy lived like 3 blocks down the road! Nosey.
  7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I'm licensed in my city, and my area is zoned residential, but all they care about is if anything is visible to the common passer-by. All of my stuff, even my trailer loaded can fit in my garage so nothing is exposed.

You need to rent my generator, an old homelite 10 HP, loud as hell. Run that from 7 A.M. until 10:00 P.M., by ordinance regulations, of course. Tell them you have a faulty wire somewhere in the house, and need the generator until you get it repaired.

P.S. I only run it when we lose power due to storms, which last year was quite frequent. No neighbors complained, because they knew the situation, but I can tell you I know it bothered them. lol Screw em', my lights, refrigerator, TV, washer and dryer, etc. were all taken care of. Oh, and a sherrif lives right next door, which of course I offered some juice to him, but he had a little tiny one he used.
  8. WAGS LandL

WAGS LandL LawnSite Member

My neighborhood is zoned residential, but I applied for a variance
    when I started the business. The township sent letters to the
    four neighbors bordering my property and there was a sign in my
    front yard for 2 weeks prior to the zoning hearing. These people
    had a free forum to resist my application for the variance (which
    costs $200 and is non-refundable). No one showed up I got
    the variance and now if anyone wants to complain they don't have a leg to stand on. It's not about being too cheap to pay
    for storage it's about following the right steps to run a home based business.
  9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I thank it should be a law that says they have to tell you who made a complaint
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Well you should be able to keep them in a garage if you have it, after all we are still free in America, arent we?