Nospill gas cans

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowinginva, Feb 2, 2008.

1. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys think of the nospill gas cans? Pros and cons?
  2. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

we switched the blitz metal cans a few years ago after hearing the DOT banned them from several people, i think they did im not sure.. but we were working at a naval base a few months ago and they wouldn't let anyone on with plastic cans, luckily we had our metal ones but the guys working the gate said 9 out 10 contractors come in with the plastic and they turn them around....
  3. Hunter73

Hunter73 LawnSite Member

Why can't you bring plastic?
  4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

no clue, but they were serious about it, i didn't ask because the guys didn't like talking much and i didn't want to piss them off. we had about 150 hay bales on the trucks and i was scared they were going to make us take them off to look under them so i kept my mouth shut, lol... after being let onto the base i then had to go to the fire marshals office to get his approval and then they put stickers on all of our cans saying they were approved....

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I bought one in November 2005. Sometime in the spring of the next year it developed a leak right where the logo box on the side is recessed, right at the top seam. I honestly did not pay much attention to it at the time, I thought something had poked a hole in it.

Since I liked the container so much compared to what else was available locally, I ordered three more. About three months in, all of those developed the same leak in the same place. I went back to the crappy cans.

After checking the NoSpill site last spring I realized they offered a lifetime warranty on them. I had no idea before. I emailed them about the problem and they sent me four replacements about a month later. The first one I put into service got stolen, but I have been using another for about six months. So far, so good.

I give the company an "A" for backing up the product with a warranty.
  6. mowinginva

That's nice to know - I mean the lifetime warranty.
  7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Plastic cans are not DOT approved. Although it is seldom enforced, the plastic cans are illegal to transport. It is also illegal to transport more than 9 gallons of gasoline (outside of a vehicle tank) in portable containers, even if you have the dot approved metal safety cans.
  8. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I have Blitz cans. 5 gal, 2gal and two 1gal cans.

The first 1gal can I bought got knocked around a bit and the tip is cracked so it leaks as soon as it is tipped. Gotta replace that one.

The only problem I ran into was trying to use the 5gal to fill up my 21" mower. I almost always overfilled too fast until I got used to it, mainly when the can was full. Didn't take me long to realize I needed to use the 2gal to fill that up.

I borrowed a 36" wb and thats where the 5gal came in handy. Although, it seems like it would get filled faster using a regular gas can and keeping the back hole open for fast flow.

Bottom line, I like the 1gals for my edger, trimmer, etc.
  9. mowinginva

We're thinking we may use one just for our 2 cycle equip. Thanks for the input. Keith just told me that there's a lifetime warranty on them.