Nosy Neighbors and your rights under Section 8 and Federal Right to Farm Laws

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albemarle Lawn, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Below is a VERY EFFECTIVE WAY OF DEALING WITH IT that has worked for me:

Tell your neighbor you are protected by Section 8, Federal Law.

When the neighbor gives you that dumb HUH? look.....

Say yes, Section 8.

You piss me off enough and I move out, and rent my house to Section 8 tenants. Explain to them that the Federal Gov't guarantees the rent will be paid to you.

Your neighbor's hard earned tax dollars will then be directly applied to subsidizing section 8 tenants in his neighborhood.

BTW....the complaining neighbor is generally not your next door neighbor or neighbor directly across from you. You will usually discover it is someone 3 or more homes away, across the street, or on a street behind you.

IF YOU LIVE IN A RURAL AREA: Don't forget your Federal Right to Farm. If you have a fussy neighbor explain to them that if they continue to rant, you will become a hog farmer. Tell thy neighbor: Pigs or mowers, you pick.

Now, of course you want to be a decent person and not disturb people unfairly in their homes. But, no matter how nice you try to be, somebody will always complain. Beyond normal courtesy, don't give an inch. If you give at all, the problem will get worse. Don't worry about making an enemy, the party involved is obviously not friend-worthy anyway.
  2. northerncalibound

northerncalibound LawnSite Member

This is a pretty ridiculous thing to do. Imo.
  3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

All you have to do is educate your neighbors, in no uncertain terms, that you have THE RIGHT TO do this, AT YOUR OPTION, if things escalate enough.

Basically, it stops the escalation. The mere POSSIBILITY that a hog farm or rowdy Section 8 dopeheads move in is enough to make lawn mowers look pretty attractive.:eek:
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I love it...LMAO
  5. northerncalibound

northerncalibound LawnSite Member

until they find a way to out do you in the pissing contest. Then you will outdo them again....blah blah blah.
  6. jtm45

jtm45 LawnSite Member

there are also local and town ordinances,my neighbor behind me (i live in suburbia) decided to dismantle cars for scrap using saws. he started up the friday prelude to memorial weekend and went straight thru to the following thursday, not to mention his yard in general is a junkyard, i checked with the town and he is making money off this and this area is zoned residential, no no. they guy across the street from him decided to tear down his deck and wooden panel fence and burn it in his back yard, i came home from work and the house was filled with smoke, i thought my house was on fire, i could see smoke billowing up from my backyard so i drove over for a confrontation and to complain, he said he had a permit,which i didnt know you could get but there is an ordinance about burning trash, only by permit an the area has to be inspected before you do by the zoning guy and you need to contact the fire department and tell them what your going to do, however he was apologetic and ashamed after i told him there are neighbors all over who have azhma and said he wouldnt do it again, the permit cost more than it would to call up your rubbish company for a special to come haul it away, not to mention the guy pissed all his immediate neighbors. you need to find out what the local ordinances are. i use to do asphalt sealcoating and occasionally park my rig in front of my house, i got a warning for that. no no.
  7. jtm45

jtm45 LawnSite Member

and they had a town meeting the following friday and one of the issues is folks buying these small fireplaces and burning in their backyard, my neighbors behind me all have them, they burned them once and saw the smoke drifting right over our back lawns and into the houses. i think the outcome is a ban on those but have not heard anything yet. im pretty sure they did away with permits and have all out banned open fire burning in your backyard with those. i know my bros daughter got asthma as a child because they burned a wood stove and fire place during the winter months and you cant help but get residual smoke in the house sometimes and they are legal.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

This is the reason I'm looking at some land right now way out in the country. Away from idiots.
  9. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

this guy lives down the street from one of my accounts his yard was full of airplane parts etc. He sued the county over that he lived in and won a few hundred gs and tried to do the same here. the judge ordered him to clean up the grounds so he put everything on his roof. After some court proceedings he erected a huge statue (about 8ft tall) bent over in his drive way that said kiss my azz and signed the judges name to it. It was the funniest thing I ever saw besides the midget mexican guy I saw riding a z the other day