1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

not a clue what to do!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mcwlandscaping, Sep 10, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

got this one customer, now ex customer that has a $75 mowing bill run up. She wont pay it because she says she now has no money. She broke her hip and now can't work and SS isnt' sending any money. The electric company has cut her service, the cable company has done the same (not that she could watch tv without electricity!!) and she just got a threat of eviction letter from her current residense...question is, what do i do to get my money? Ide think people would have enough brain power to have the money to do soemthing before you do it, but, i guess lawn service people just get thrown in the bottom of the priority pile. Ive had pay problems with her before, but that was her just being lazy and dumb, right now its more for getting the money becuase ive earned it over i really really need the $75. Any assistance would be appreciatied. been about a month since last service i provided
  2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like it should be turned over to collections and stand in line. Maybe see if there is some sort of plan to be worked out w/o going that route. Does the customer have some children or something to manage the money?
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I think you should walk away and forget it. It is a lesson learned. With no power or tv you are the least of her problems, so you will get the least attention. Maybe consider advance payment or contracts for the future.
  4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

yea i think trying to get your money at this point is a waste of time. or if you really want your money you can just stand in line behind the phone,electrical,credit card, mortgage companys and any other outstanding debts she might owe.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

That's a tough one Mike...realistically she's gonna pay for housing and power and all that before she pays for the lawn service. If her story is really true you probably won't get anything out of her for awhile.

You could try collections, or maybe see if she can pay something each month, even if it's a small amount.

Just be glad it's only $75, not $750...

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Tell how a contract will get your money.
  7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

if all that is true you are a POS....

think of all the problems this lady has, and you are freaking out over $75.00.....

if you are in such dire straits over only $75.00, then you are just as dumb as she is.... poor business management
  8. mcwlandscaping

thanks so much for the help and encouraging words
  9. mcwlandscaping

everyone else, i agree, im not going to persue it, $75 isn't very much money to me and with her situation, just let it go.
  10. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

The kid is only 16 give him a break. At that age $75 is a lot to anyone who didn't grow up with a golden spoon.
    You are likely not going to collect anything from this woman. If I were you I'd just forget the debt. It will probably cost you $50 to go to court and even if you won she'd probably just do a slow pay or something where you'd get $2 a month over the next few years and that is only if someone else is not garnishing her wages or if she filed for bankruptcy. No sense in trying to ding her credit it is already dinged with not paying her rent and water and electricity and probably credit cards and car and everything else.