1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Not a Good Day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thefarmer4, Mar 14, 2001.

1. thefarmer4

thefarmer4 LawnSite Member

I tried to go out and hang door hangers today. I didn't realize how windy it was till I got out there. I did about 15 houses and only 4 stayed on.(then I quit) What a waste of my time.

Does anyone have suggestions for door hangers on windy days, or should I just pray for a calm day soon?
  2. SodFather

SodFather LawnSite Member

It was very windy out here today. I dont think you should have a problem with a normal breezy day.
  3. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I use fliers. They are cheaper, can accomidate more information, faster to make, and I sort of roll them and put them between the door handle. Or, fold them in half and put them between the storm door and the door way at the latch. This way, they never get wet or blow away. But, I do think it is a bad idea to put them out on nasty days, because people don't think much about their lawns.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Another member did door hangers on a windy day and got a phone call about all the hangers blowing around in the development.
  5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Greg do you remember when Hobart lost the state highschool football game vs the Castle Knights in 1982? Back to the post I have never onece advertized. I got alot of accounts when i ran a business for Sun-Oil-Co that i had 500 customers and i knew when this branch was going to liquidate,after giving them 19yrs on my life, so i started asking my people about cutting there yds. And picked up thirty plus right off the bat. I now do 51 and thats all i can handel. Marks Mowing Service
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You didn't mention in your post what type of doorhangers you have.

If you have the kind from Nebs, there won't be any problem.

We punched out all of our perforated holes before we even left the house. At the top of the hole there is a little slit. Hang the hanger on the doorknob, and use a very small piece of scotch tape to seal the slit. It takes but a few seconds extra and it ensures that they will not blow off.

We hung some on some very windy days and after an hour of hanging, we recircle the neighborhood in the truck and they are all still hanging.
  7. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

LOL, As soon as I read this thread, I heard the wind pick up and trash cans blowing in the street, etc. Just came outta nowhere! SPOOKY?!
  8. thefarmer4

thefarmer4 LawnSite Member

The doorhangers I have are perferated with a little slit at the top. Part of the problem was the type of door handles that are on the doors. They are not door knobs.

Is it illegal to hang them on the inside door?
  9. igm

igm LawnSite Member

Here's an idea. Instead of fliers which hang
    on doors or mailboxes, go to Home Depot, buy a roll of that adhesive backed magnetic strip material and then cut it into little squares. Peel the adhesive, stick it to a card. Then drive down the road, and right from the car, stick it on a mailbox with the magnet.
    Doesn't work very good on plastic boxes though. A friend of mine did this. I thought it was a great idea. Cheap, fast, effective. All you really want is the phone call so you can impress them in person anyway, and I figure a card will get the initial call just as well. Many people are discouraged by a lengthy piece of paper and would be just as impressed by a crisp, professional looking card. I'll be doing it this way.

My .02

10. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sorry ,Mark, but I was 2 when that happened so I don't remember. The thing I hate about handing out fliers is I should just ask the people if I hand it to them, "Would you throw this away for me?" Because as soon as I hand it to them and move on to the next house, they throw it away. I perfer them not to be outside, so I don't have to see it get tossed.