1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Not a good day

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Scag48, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Well guys, today was no good. I think I'll dedicate this thread to those "bad days". I've been installing water and sewer lines for the last 2 days and while trenching today I hit an underground power line that was barely 15" down with red tape right on top of the line, what a joke. We had called in a locate last week, the PUD didn't locate this line but located one on another part of the site. We're speculating the line isn't "hot" as the meter it goes to isn't running and the line runs to a water pump that hasn't run in years. We found the abandoned 8" steel water line with no problems, but not 6' feet down the trench I snagged the power.

And to top it all off, my truck started spewing tranny fluid yesterday. It was about 102 yesterday and had been pulling a monster hill. As soon as I got to the site to unload, the truck decided to dump some fluid. We had this happen last year to our F350 and nothing was wrong with the tranny, the fluid just boiled and went out some overflow valve. We're suspecting that's the case with my truck as well, I hope I don't have a bad gasket. Hopefully tomorrow is better.
  2. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

Dont feel bad... I hit an old well line a couple months ago....could be much worse right? if it hadn't been a dead line
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Did you put the truck in reverse after that monster hill?
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Not that I remember, I heard the Torqshift doesn't have that valve that allows reverse flow. I'm really thinking that the truck will be fine, but I parked it today and drove the backup truck.
  5. Rapat

Rapat LawnSite Member

It could be worse, someone stole my 430D off of a job site in the Bronx yesterday.
  6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

our 350s and 450's usually at least once every winter blow out some tranny fluid when plowing. the dealer said its normal...
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I've figured, I've seen it before, but I'm always cautious about these things, don't want to create more trouble for myself.

Today I was trenching next to a chain link fence and swung the counterweight of the 312 into it a couple times and scratched some paint off :cry: I guess it's about time to start getting her all scratched up.
  8. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

This is certainly not along the same lines (in terms of damage), but I ran over a truck tire (just the thread, but it was taller than my ground clearance...) in the middle of the blasted interstate one day while driving to work -- talk about a whump that woke me up!
  9. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

You should get a mini ex or a zero tail machine,haha!!!!
  10. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Sh.......t happens or at least that's what my help says !!!!!!!