Not a good day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jnjnlc, Jun 15, 2001.

1. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I got up this morning and thought today would be the same as every other Friday. I have 14 to mow. They are small and close together. No problem right.

Wrong. First yard I ran out of gas on my ZTR. Both tanks empty. Fortunately, I have a five gallon can on the trailer. Problem solved.

Second my string trimmer would only run if I had it full blast. No idle at all. I released the trigger for just a second and it went dead. Pulled to start it and the recoil is now broke. I thought great this is going to be one of those days. I pull out my Ryobi back up trimmer and finish with it. Going from a Husky to a Ryobi is like going from a Caddy to a Yugo.

Third, I start my blower and throw it on my back. As soon as I pull the gas trigger the blower fell apart (the flexible tube came off). Nothing major, but frustrating. I fixed and went on about my business.

After that lawn I was ready to go back to bed. What a day. To top it off it was in the high 80s and high humidity. Sweltering hot. After all of that I only had to mow 12. It seemed like I mowed 100. What a long frustrating day.

Sorry, but I just had to vent about it.

2. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good day compared to a lot of the days I have.

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I know how you feel. My trimmer never runs right except when I take it to the dealer to get fixed, he thinks I 'm crazy and won't do anything to fix it, what a jerk! Maybe next time I'll buy one over the internet!

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

My days like that seem to run together in a month, spaced evenly throughout it. :p

5. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I love those days when you feel like you never quite get going. My favorite is cutting several adjoining properties, loading up the mower, grabbing the string trimmer, getting to the furthest place from the trailer to realize you forgot a section. Good reason to trim last. I know I'm too tired when this happens, time to call it a night.

6. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Try to remember it could be worse.

Think about the guy who broke his back and suddenly little mehanical problems seem just that "little".

7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree! I hear that Ron's doing much better now, coming back next month! :cool:

8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I had my day like that on Wednesday. Only had a few lawns figured it would be one of those take it easy laid back days...mower broke down twice minor rpairs but still had to go to the shop twice. While mowing one lawn the sprinkler system came on, finally got three lawns out of a scheduled five done. I was just thankful that it didn't happen any other day of the week:)

9. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

jnjnlc,

It happens to all of us doesn't it? Some days it seems that I take two steps forward and one step back. But I would rather deal with those minor setbacks than be tied to a desk or factory gig anyday. Hope I run into you someday. I work in Charlotte as well.

Hang tough, Bill Craig:cool:

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

the experience I have in a parallel universe is when the starter rope broke on the ole lesco.

I tried to get some sympathy from my dealer but all he did was give me some new rope. he told me that with my triceps I'd have to pay for the next starter rope!

GEO