1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Not according to plan, but going fulltime this Spring

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by rkbrown, Dec 12, 2002.

1. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I was a part timer this year after many years out of the business. I was planning on going fulltime gradually, but this has changed. I was laid off from my job (software developer for an energy trading company) last Friday. They told me at 4:00. With all the unemployed programmers in the Houston area (Reliant laid off 80 just this week), the outlook for this type of employment in this area is not good. I am spending this week writing up my business plan, including marketing approach to go fulltime this spring. I have taken the class for irrigation and will take the exam for the license on January 24.

At the present time, I have commercial equipment, but the mowers are only 21's. I will wait and see what the February marketing blitz brings before I go and get largers mowers. Unfortunately, the money that I have saved for the larger mower and trailer must be used for living expenses. I will take on part time labor work until March and hopefully have enough money for a trailer.

Thanks to all of you on this site who have given me the wisdom and courage to make this change.
  2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your other job ! we are also planning to go full time this spring ! we had a great year in grass this season .
    we are a bit concerned about biting the bullet with no guaranteed
    income other than the one yr- round account ! what do you have going as far as insurance ? i need some leads on good cheap
    insurance !Good Luck ! :cool:
  3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Sorry to hear about the job - I know from experience that that is not a fun thing.

Sounds like you have a good attitude about it.

As a software developer, if you have expertise in web design or graphics (I don't know what kind of software you develop), you may find that some of the folks here could use your services.

Just a thought.

Good luck to you.
  4. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

HEY, At least you have something backing you up. I remember in the early 80's my father left my grandfather to go into business I think 81' or 82'. Can't remember. Everyone said not to do it. Because everyone will be cutting down on there spending. Well needless to say he was very busy and profitable back then. And back then we had a bad recession..

So just be glad your not like others who have to start at bottom again or working McDonalds to pay mortage.
  5. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

RK: Sorry about the job, been there. I was laid off from my employer of 23 years in '99, and then again a year later (to the day) from another job! At least both times it was the Thursday before deer season opened!! On the positive side, you already know what you're going to do and have plans in place. I didn't have a back-up plan then, but I do now. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and smarter. Now I have a day job and a mowing business part-time. I still don't make as much money as I did, but I'm home (no more business travel for me!), almost stress free, and have a satisfied mind. There is life after lay-off. Keep the faith.
  6. KirbyKLC

KirbyKLC LawnSite Member

Hey RK,

Me too. I've know it was coming for several months as the company announced they were getting out of the particular specialty area that I worked in. They told us that they would give us 30 days notice when our time was up. Well as you could guess, they didn't. We were told on 11/20/02 that the division we worked in was sold and that none of the employees would be retained by the new company. Our last day was 11/22/02. On the good side they still paid us for the 30 days even though we didn't have to work it.

So now I am also FTimer. Was planning to go FT at some point but no this soon. At least I have the necessary equipment. It would be very hard to get a loan for equip being unemployed.

Best of luck to you. At least you are in a warm weather area. We mow year round in most of Florida. Not every week but about 39-42 weeks per year.

Keep your head up and say your prayers. Things have a way of working out for the good!

See ya!!

BTW Merry Christmas to all.
  7. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I think that you will be alot happier working for yourself, rather than making someone else rich!
  8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. I got layed off nov. '01 because of sept 11. I found a job in mar '02 and worked until this past friday 12/20/02 and got layed off again. I'm sick of working for other people. I've had enough. Whatever it takes, I'll do it.
  9. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Yes i worked for the goverment for eight years (Navy). Making them richer, and myself stay pretty much on the same level financially, motivated me to never work for anyone but myself. Why make someone else rich when you can put the profits in YOUR pocket. What?? Stress?? The money outweighs the stress factor any day!
  10. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

After it's all said and done, you'll be sorry to have waited so long to go full time. I too was afraid of loosing the security of working at my other job when I was doing this part time. In hindsight, I think WTF was I thinking?
    Congradulations on going full time.