1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Not all Customers are BAD

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by all degree, Jul 10, 2004.

1. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Last night I was cutting a house by the ocean. It is a really nice house well over a million bucks. The homeowner is a guy about my age (33) and as I finished cutting I noticed that he was blowing off his own lawn with my blower and even did the one next to him that I also cut.

Thought that was pretty cool. He knew how to use the blower b/c he has one. He said he just wanted to get me home to enjoy the weekend a little quicker.

It made me think that the majority of my (all of our) cusotmers are really pretty good people. They pay on time and are always pleasant when I see them. Its really only less than 5% percent that are a pain in ass.

So my point is dont take your frustrations out on your "good" customers. I know its tough when early in the day you had a bad experience with one of the 5% but you just got to leave it at that account
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i've got your same customer but instead of a MIL. house on the ocean it is on my lake. He always offers a beer/pop. Gave us the invite to his 4th of July party and invites us on the boat all the time.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

there are alot of nice customers. they are considerate, offer soda, i've even had them tell me to skip the edging this week cus it's too hot out(and i'm thinking, umm, edging? i been skipping it for 4 weeks now...). its a damn shame there are bad ones too, and how do you know who to trust? glad you got some good ones
  4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, treat the good ones right and tolerate the bad ones until you can find some more good ones. :D
  5. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have met so many nice people this summer. But like every year there is always one. I have this millionaire that has owed me $40.00 sence May. So I guess you know the list he's on. I used to try to figure out why people are the way they are. At this point in my life it just doesn't seem to be inportant any more. I'm having too much fun to let a PITA bring me down. There is something really good just over the next hill.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Those are great stories. I guess you could get some really good referrals from them. One thing caught my attention though. If a customer tells you to skip something to make it easier on you and you know it needs to be done, tell them the job isn't finished until it's done. I did that with some trimming at the end of a very large property and it came back to bite me, I think.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I have to admit that I do like most of my customers. I've always tried to get to know my clients. If they know a little about you and think of you as a person, husband, father, etc. they are less likely to cancel when some other guy offers to do the lawn for $2 cheaper.

Whenever a PITA comes along I try and find a tactful way to end the service. No sense in having customers bring you down when there are plenty of good people out there to work for.

This time last year, one of my favorite customers died. He was 80 years old, and had gone into the hospital months earlier for something relatively minor. Ended up developing a terrible infection which he could not beat.

Turns out he was a decorated war hero, had served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. Very modest guy, never mentioned any of this to me. Anyway, his wife got approval to have him buried at Arlington National Cemetery (took a month to arrange this, they kept him in cold storage somewhere I imagine). She tells me that her husband really liked my work, and how I would always take a few minutes each time to chitchat with an old man. Then she says he would certainly want me to attend the funeral if I could make it.

So of course I went, even though I was very busy. Really moving ceremony, full military honors and all. Its nice to know that some customers think of us as more than just the guy who cuts the grass.
  8. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that is cool, nice to see that we still have people in this world who have a sense of courtesy.