1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Not all is bad.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Feb 17, 2008.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Been out talking to my customers, seeing what type of returning customer base we're having this year.

I was a little nervous, being so far north that I read alot of you southern guys have had issues getting contracts / agreements renewed, and I knew I had to raise prices this year.

Everything you hear on the radio, TV, read here and elsewhere on the internet talks about how people have to tighten their belt, cut costs.

Well... I said heck with it. If I lose some properties, it's probably a good thing, because I'm sort of overbooked anyways.

I've been raising the monthly accounts between 6 and 15%. So far 85% of my clients are on board again, with another 7% saying "they don't seen an issue, but have to run it in front of the board". Another 4% didn't say anything, I just left the new bid with the secretary / front office gal.

Then there's still 2-3 companies that I haven't been in contact with yet, those are meetings that are set up for this week, so we'll see how things go.

Just wanted to give some of you guys hope that maybe there's still hope you can raise prices.
  2. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

Good Job! Raising prices is always a tough gut check, but like you said, being overbooked and (perhaps) not making the profit you need on those extra yards doesn't help anyway.
  3. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Awesome! Really glad to hear that!
  4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I raised last year on 75% of my customers by 10-15%. This year Im staying the same with my current customers but raising up my minimum for new customers.

It's nerve wracking sending that letter out but it has to be done. Customers who dont understand it are better off looking elsewhere for service providers.