Not bagging ever...Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, May 19, 2002.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have read many posts by guys who say they never take grass. This is so mind boggling to me with my current Scag line. I understand that there are differences in machines, but it is beyond me, givin my climent and grass type how any machine could leave a nice finished product without bagging this time of year.

Seriously, is their a mower that can mow thick tall wet grass, cutting, double cutting, or even tripple cutting that can leave every yard looking perfect?

I could mow many of my lawns with my tiger and mow them 600 times, and I would still have junk in the yard! Is the deck of a chopper or other rider so vastly superior that it can make the stuff disapear everytime regardless of conditions.

If someone has my type of grass and grass growth can do this, I need to have that machine.

Thanks so much

2. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Shady brook
    Try the super z from hustler it will definately do a better job of throwing the grass. I bag occasionally but that is because sometimes it is faster to bag (high grass,wet grass) the property than double cutting it. We double cut alot of our accounts and that removes all of the clumping but when we cut it the second time we raise the deck one notch (more lift and better blade speed) and it helps alot.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've mowed some pretty tall grass this Spring. Some over 18" tall. Granted that lawn didn't look pristine for two weeks, but thats the extreme. But I've had a few that were at least 8" tall, and after double cutting (criss cross/checkerboard) with the Lazer, it looked as if it was just mowed 3 days prior.

That same lawn, in the backyard is a pool with a fence. Have to use the SCAG WB in there. I had to TRIPPLE cut that, and then go in with the backpack blower to disperse the clippings a bit more!

So, YES, it does depend on the mower!
  4. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

We double cut most everything right now and we only bag one yard. It is the size of a postage stamp and mostly bag too keep clippings out of the beds. Yes it can be done but it has alot to do with height of cut,type of grass,and how rampant your growing season is. Hang in there experiment a little with height adjustments etc.
    Good luck
  5. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

I agree with P&J. I have a Hustler z and somtimes i will have to cut twice, but after doing so it looks great! To get the same results with my Toro i have to run doubles and still cut twice.
    The ONLY time of year that i bag is in the fall for leaves, and the first round of spring cuts.
  6. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

certainly it s possible, but not always feasible. each property has its own gorwing tendencies, and idiosyncracies.

We bag at approximately 7 of our 90 accounts. only one of which is usually bagged on a first cut. but that seven number canvary week to week depending on the circumstances. This week, I guarantee to bag more than that.(holiday weekend coming up)

Bagging can be a good idea sometimes too.
    Like bagging an over, or improperly ferilized lawn.(won't mention any names, but everyone knows who) Do that to try and get rid of some of the nutrients, and slow that lawn down.
  7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I use a Lazer Z on my 35 accounts and have been double cutting a lot lately because of all the rain we have been receiving. On new accounts that are overgrown I sometimes triple cut.

I have never bagged grass in my life...and will not start now.
  8. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I never bag and very rarely will I ever double cut. My theory is to cut the lawn when it needs to be cut, not a 7 day cut. Right now I'm mowing once every 6 days and I'm running Double Gators. If I cant keep up with that I'll go once every 5 days. There is no way I could let a lawn go 7 days right now and have it look nice. My customers understand that it needs mowed more often now and I will straight up tell them if they want it done less than that they can find someone else to take care of there yards. My customeres Like the job I do and I very rarely hear of any complaints of mowing to much. I feel this is fair to me and my customers.
  9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

don't own a bagger. depending on what mower i am using it's either mulched or side discharged. sometimes with the mulch kit i have to double cut, have yet to do it with the gators as doubles.
  10. mowerguys

mowerguys LawnSite Member

I agree with Quail Creek LC. I mow most of my clients on a 5 day schedule when the grass is growing this fast. I have never had a customer complain about how often i am mowing. If i wait to mow every seven days the lawns would not meet my standards even after double cutting. All of my customers want there yards to look like the best in the neighborhood so they like it when i mow every 5 days.

P.S. Quail Creek, Where are located in Iowa?