Not been my day!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by millsmowing, Mar 5, 2002.

1. millsmowing

millsmowing LawnSite Member

I just needed someone to vent to. I had a customer cancel me today because i raised her rate a measly 5 bucks. Another guy called me and wanted an estimate over the phone(price shopping). I live in michigan and its been snowing everyday for a week. The best news is that the cast comes off my broken right hand in 6 days. I'm getting very edgy, i need some good customers and some 60 degree weather before i go back to my full time job as a prison guard and take it out on the convicts.

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

its been hard on all of us.

3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Only thing I can tell you is to be patient,everything will work out!!!!!!!!!

4. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry you had a bad day. I thought I might relate some experiences I've had in another business. I Worked for both of the premium pest elimination companys in America, Prism and Ecolab. We never raised our customers more than $3 at a time. Most accounts were over $100 and several were in the thousands. Even then we had some customers who bitched about it and some would cancel. I was an EMPLOYEE then and had to take it. I'm the BOSS now and I don't have to take any flak from an unreasonable butthead. My outlook is "I was lookin for a customer when I found them, I'll look some more". Happy trails brother.

5. CGPetersen

CGPetersen LawnSite Member

Unfortunately, in today's competitive marketplace, we need every customer we can get. I recommend explaining the reason for the increase, such as escalating labor costs, fuel costs, etc. Also try to keep the increases annually or bi-annually. This will help some. Sorry to hear about all the mishaps though. We all have times like that.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sure glad I don't have a # on the back of my shirt!!! Keep cool man. Warn weather will be here b4 you know it.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

There is not way I would attempt to raise prices on most of my customers this year. I have a couple I will try it on but there is just too many LCOs out there in my area to massively jack the prices up even a couple of dollars. We have just reach 6% unemployment for the first time in a long time in my area. I am sure that most of them are going to be out there cutting grass.

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

The market is also saturated down here. Most people want the cheapest price for lawncare so you have to stay competative. Unfortunately down here there are guys who will mow dirt cheap and people don't understand why you cost more. I try to explain to them why I charge what I do (cost of licensing, comm. ins comm. equip, taxes etc...) Some understand, some don't. I do have a min. price that I stick to though. The bad thing is when I ask if their last lawn guy was licensed and insured ,they say "I don't know". People who are looking strictly for cheap service, I usually just walk away.

9. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing wrong with raising your price. This kind of customer would find a reason to complain or whine about something.

Many times I'll raise the price on a customer for a variety of reasons (mostly because they turn out to be impossible to please).

The way I look at it is I set my service price- if someone does not want to pay it then there are several more that will.

I had a friend who complained about the price I gave him for work he requested. His wife wanted some extra stuff done. So I did it and charged accordinly. It was a wopping $25.00 extra. He called to complain. I could tell be the tone of his voice he decided our friendship was over.

Our friendship was worth $25.00.

Pretty sad.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

10. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I've had price Increases last month on an average of 8% so far No one has complained at all, I even raised one customer up 15 bucks per visit over last year and she even understood the fact that I had to do a price increase and she didn't have a problem with it. Now so far, what bids I have given out here lately I havent had to many calls back on. I do have a minimum price this year of 25.00 per visit and I'm estimating based on a sqft basis, I'm trying to get 5 to 7 bucks per 1000 sq feet for mowing and trimming but it's tough. I'm getting undercut a lot right now, I see so many new LCO's out there that wern't here last year. I just let go of my last crew and told them they were on thier own,( I decided to be a one man operation.) Two years ago I was running three crews, never advertised and only worked on referals, this year I was only going to have a crew and supervise it myself, But I really got tired of being a baby sitter so I'm selling off what tools I don't need and dropping the lousy accounts, spending money to try and get new more profitable accounts.

I have some advantages over many of these new LCO's....... staying power and a good accountant, and I have good equipment, alot of these guys are driving around with a 200 dollar mower and an 80 dollar walmart trimmer. I also have a good reputation.... I may apologise about the price, but I'll never apologise about the quality.