Not being able to finish cleanups before dark

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mowerdude777, Sep 21, 2010.

1. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

Has anyone else (who's still in school) had this issue, pretty much since the 2008 season I have had this issue, where I get off of school and have to get out and bust hump to get done before dark. I have most of my accounts scheduled on the same days (4 days) and I always was finishing in the dark in 2008. 2009 comes and I have my Friend help me we moved FAST but still not good enough (I did have more work that year) This year I have even more then last and plan on having another friend who is LCO as well but I still have a feeling that we will not be done in time. Here's the most efficient plan I have come up with,
    One person will be blowing at all times
    One will mow up at the leaves
    will assist the blower and mower operators with the other mower and blower as well as load up the trailer with leaves
    Will this be fast enough where I can be done in time (typically 3 yards a day and we start at 330 and end at 7:30 Thanks- Ryan

2. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

I hear ya, I'm still I. High school and some jobs take me 3 days!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. mowerdude777

QUOTE=ajslands;3728736]I hear ya, I'm still I. High school and some jobs take me 3 days!
    Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats another key reason why I shcedual the way I do so I dont get frigged over and have to work a huge job then the reg lawns too I schedual my fall so I get 3 days off a week for weather (never know what will happen in michigan:dizzy:) do I always gotta have time for if one day it snows then the next its freaking 70 LOL

4. DLONGLANDSCAPING

DLONGLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in college. I doubt i am in school as long as you guys but when i do leaves. I have around 60 properties to maintain and clean up leaves. Buy a mulch kit for one of your mowers and this is my advice and how to do leaves

Steps:
    1. everyone blow the leaves into the yard(from the beds)
    2. one person on the mulch mower and one person on the finish mower, Mowing right behind the mulch mower bagging the left over small clippings
    3.third guy, or finish mower guy loads up the fine mulched up leaves on the trailer and
    4. once backyard is done(15 min or less with the small properties) start on front yard and do the exact same thing.

This will make you more productive and have to take away half the clippings so instead of 3 a day you can fit 6 a day into your route and not have to dump the leaves.

You definitly can do this with 2 guys no problem. I live nearly 2 miles away from you, althought i have much bigger equipment and 1/4 -3 acre properties. It should still be generally the same idea. What i do is i have two people working for me. The blow out front yard beds first. Then i suck them all up with my qds ultravac bagger. Then dump them into the street. As i am mowing the front leaves up, they are blowing the back yard beds out. After i am done with front, i mow backyard leaves up while they trim edge and clean up grass clippings and sidewalks and street. Once im done dumping the clippings into the street or driveway. They use the leaf loader and suck the mulched up pile of leaves again and mulch them even finer.

The small lawns can be done in less than 25 minutes. Practically a mowing but a little more clean up. And the big lawns take a little more time but depend on the amount of trees in the property and how big it is. I could do a full clean up to a one acre property in about an hour to an hour and a half.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  5. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

It's not really an issue though. I mean ideally you get some guys that could do all of this while you were in class (I stress ideally) but reschedule your classes at night next semester? As long as you finish its ok, but yeah pretty straight forward solution there.

6. mowerdude777

That sounds like it would work, I sometimes side discharge then go back with the bag which saves time but I have a few accounts that pretty much are trees (one is so bad that the excessive amounts of leaves kept stopping the exmark!)

7. DLONGLANDSCAPING

I have classes at night, but i was in highschool last year dealing with this also. I get that im in college but it doesnt hurt to give another local kid some advice.

8. DLONGLANDSCAPING

In the excessive walnut tree leaves and those huge leaves that we get in our area, what i usually do is raise my mower deck.I havent had a problem of bogging down my lazer or viking, but if you do have that problem, i would either go slower with the deck like snails pace, or raise the deck.

How big are the properties that you are servicing? Like bigger than a half acre?

9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Do what I did, install lights on your mower and lights on your trailer. I even have a large remote controlled spot/flood light that I can mount on my truck to add a little extra light. That way you can finish your work even when it gets dark. And soon it will start getting dark by 6:30 or earlier.

If you have enough lights (like I will soon have) you'll be saying "Dark?...there is no such thing as dark".

10. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

... or you could just get a Walker.