Not business like to change an agreed upon price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Mar 16, 2005.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I know this has been beaten to death on LawnSite, however.

I took on a new yard in the fall, but haven't mowed it yet. She was going to let the other guy finish out the season. I told her $45 a cut because thats what the last guy charged. Now that iv had a chance to think about it, its to low. Is it un business like to change my price now that everything has been agreed upon? I'm thinking about going up 10 bucks a cut.

Id hate to lose the place since I have 4 other lawns on the same street.

2. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

If the customer approached you about hiring you you might have a chance to raise your price but if you asked to mow her lawn she might hold you to the price. If you feel you quality of work is far better than her previous service you might want to tell her that you think your bid was a little low and offer to split the difference for this year. It sounds like she is a fair person, Letting the other guy finish the year, so hopefully she will understand.

3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes! Mow it at this price for the season, up the price next season

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

think of it in terms of adding the other lawns in the area, and is it now worth your while. another route would be to jack up the price on add on services to get you your $10 more cut. you are talking about roughly $300 a year ($10x 30 cuts). be creative, i'm sure you can make it up somewhere. the only drawback is that when she tells her friends how cheap u r cutting hers, they may all want the cheap price, and that isnt good

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I would either stick to the agreed upon price, or make up some excuse why you can't take any more lawns on for this season.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I thought of that as well. If they do approach you, simply tell them you honestly made a mistake in estimating hers.

7. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

And that is when word of mouth is a bad thing...

8. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

There's a few simple solutions:

1. Dump her - Bad image
    2. Keep her - Make less $ than you could
    3. Tell her that you have evaluated the cost of doing business, including the forecasted gas prices, and have been FORCED against your will to raise prices this upcoming season. our new price is $xxx.00 IF this is acceptable, please sign this form...blah blah blah.

9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Your Pricing Method got you into this problem. " I told her $45 a cut because thats what the last guy charged." THAT IS THE MOST RIDICULOUS PRICING STRATEGY KNOWN TO MAN!!! Often times "the other guy" goes out of business because he is not charging enough to RECOVER HIS COSTS! How is HE going to know how much it takes to RECOVER YOUR COSTS/OVERHEAD & MAKE A FAIR PROFIT?!!! I NEVER TAKE A JOB AT THE SUPPOSED RATE THE OTHER GUY WAS CHARGING.

Mike

10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I keep saying, even have it as my sig line... "I don't let the guy who went out of business set my prices."