1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

not doing well, need help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by environment, Jan 3, 2004.

1. environment

environment LawnSite Member

well, i started my business in the early fall and i did three halloween displays, three christmas displays, one construction job which was really nice, and got one house for plowing, other than that I have nothing for next year, I put out well ove a thousand flyers recently and didnt get any response, money is very tight right now so i cant spend to much, i am attending the home design and landscape show at the morristown nj armory for 4 days so im hoping that gets me something, but i need to secure some work, any ideas please let me know,

also i need help on how to price especially for spring and fall cleanups, pruning, mulching, etc.
  2. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Knock on doors. Best for the no money. Just look professional, if you don't have company attire, wear nice khaki's and nice polo shirt and have nicest literature you can afford or get. This is seldom done since the #'s per hour are so low and people don't like doing it but it does provide the best results and will get you there. Where there is a will, there is a way. I did it in the beginning and would again but it just takes too much time for the volume that I need. Next maybe newspaper, then flyers in spring or redo the areas you already hit.
  3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Your timing was also off a bit, spring has much better results for the advertising at least that has been so in my case. What do you use for equipment do you even own a mower you mentioned clean ups I know the leaf plow on my ZTR becomes my best friend nothing like moving 1000 pounds of leaves effortlessly. Do you own any leaf blowers when I do a clean up estimate and personally I prefer doing them by the hour but even on my lawn contracts many insist on an upfront price to begin with. Bottom line is you need to be able to look at a garden bed and in your mind see your self doing it then figure how many hours that will take. It is gona take time to develop that skill same with mulching you can cheat it and measure the beds and calculate the amount of cubic yards your need it will make your estimate time go up but at least your be correct. When youÂ’ve done dozens or in my case hundreds of mulch jobs your be able to see in your mind what a yard covers I typically hold my hand out at full distance from my face spread my fingers hehehehe I know it sounds weird. But when I'm standing the right distance away again its all feel I can then count the yards very easily on a 20-25 yard job ill seldom be off by more then a yard so it just becomes a feel to you. Kind of like if you worked in the seafood dept of a store and were asked to give me a pound of shrimp if you had been there a while you probably would be with in 3-5 hundreds of a pound on the scale just by feel before you ever weighed it.
  4. environment

i have a 36" scag a back pack blower, a push blower, and other things such as shovels, pics, all that misc. stuff
  5. John B Laidlaw

John B Laidlaw LawnSite Member

Your in a tough area competition wise. There are many guys in business in this area, just look around this site for other members and you will see.
    You may want to advertize in the B-ville news, Star-Ledger, ect to get your name out there. Also, try affiliating yourself with some small garden centers in your area. TT to walt @ Walters garden center in Bernardsville and Jay @ Great Swamp Greenhouses in Gillette. Let them know that I refered you and you will be taken care of. Walters is closed until Mar. but Jay should be there @ GSGH.
    Let me know how you make out!
  6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

MORE flyers!
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its all about timing and you are off on it. Starting at the end of the season isn't really good. Its better to start at the beginning. Over the next couple of months things will start to pick up again.
  8. environment

thanks john, I will give them a call ASAP, I appreciate it, and I am trying more flyers as soon as it stops raining
  9. illday

illday LawnSite Member

Take it from a fellow Rookie
    "Another Quality Job Done By " sign.
    it did wonders for my business during shrub trimming season.
  10. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Nice idea, I agree. Plus, you'll be getting business in the areas you are already working, which is a bonus.

Here's mine, short, just like you worded, and to the point.

Basically it is a sign that you can quickly glance at, read, and remember.

I would also recommend this. Remember, it doesn't have to be too cluttered, just get your idea across.

Good luck out there everyonepayup

Oh, and this is not the actual size, this is just the layout.

Attached Files: