not enough blower?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MikeA, May 23, 2006.

1. MikeA

MikeA LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I am shopping for a blower. When I bought my house a couple of years back somebody gave me a Black & Decker electric blower. I barely use it because I don't want to deal with extension cords and stuff like that.

Now I want a gas blower. I have done my reading here and I am not sure about my conclusions. I see Stihl BG55 and Echo PB200 being recommend to home owners. From what I read they seem like they are really entry level with out much power behind them. Are they that much more powerful than an electic blower? Should I be looking at something bigger? I don't need a Porche buy I also don't want a Pinto.

I want to use it for grass cutting clean up and for leaves in the fall.

2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

the pb200 handheld blower will work good for blowing down the drive after mowing as long as the grass is dry. if you want to move leaves,you need a backpack style blower i wouldn't go any smaller than the echo pb403

3. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Redmax HBZ 2600, it the most powerful hand held blower they make, Plus it's strato Charged. www.redmax.com

4. Ron's Lawncare

actually the echo pb230 is slightly more powerfull 410 cfm 160 mph verses 367cfm and 157 mph. both are good blowers but mike asked about moving leaves too the echo pb403 backpack is rated at 800cfm and 175 mph twice the air flow of any hand held blower and it's just slightly more than those handhelds.

5. MikeA

MikeA LawnSite Member
    from NJ

So are you recommending the pb230 or the pb403? From the numbers it looks like the pb403. HD has them for about $300 versus $159 for the pb200. Sounds like I am going to have to spend 200-300 for something decent but for the amount I am going to use it that might be over kill. At the same time spending $150 on something that won't do the job is even worse

6. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

actually echo plays a little game with their ratings. they measure CFM w/o the pipe to maximize the volume. they then put the pipe on, with its tapered nozzle to maximize air speed. stihl rates their blowers with the tubes on, the way they are used. a BG55 is similar in performance to the echo and shindaiwa. the BG 85 blows these machines into the weeds. it blows 341 cfm at 183mph with a flat tube and 447cfm at 125 mph with a round tube with no taper. i compared the echo/shindaiwa/redmax to the bg 55 ane they were similar in performance. then i found the bg85. it moves air like the entry level BP.

7. MikeA

MikeA LawnSite Member
    from NJ

So the BG 85 is the top of the Stihl line for hand blowers? For some reason I didn't even think of starting there.

Looks like they go for about $200 so that isn't bad. This is about as good as an entry level backpack model? This model will push leaves around - no problems (I hate to rake)

8. Ron's Lawncare

i haven't seen a handheld blower yet that has the power of a mid size backpack (Echo pb 403).there are other great blowers in this class Redmax,stihl etc i'm recomending echo because i think it will give you the most bang for you buck. i wouldn't buy a handheld if you want to move piles of leaves. any blower will work for blowing down after mowing,i use an echo pb200 a lot. when we do leaves the handhelds never leave the trailer.

Ron

9. MikeA

MikeA LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I can find the BG 85 for $219 and the PB403 for $300. Is it worth the extra $80 for a homeowner?

10. MikeA

MikeA LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Actually, I can get the echo at 10% (last day today from HD). How is the echo brand? As good as Stihl. For $270 seems like that might be a good deal