not enough hours in the day...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in a bit of a quandry (not that i'm 100% sure what that means, lol)

I have a FULL schedule, but it's all mowing. I have a lot of fertilizing and weeds to get sprayed too, and NO time to do it! I think I have bit off a bit more than I can chew this season... I dont have anyone I can even call to help me for a while, everyone is either in school or works full time already. I'm not about to get into the hell of hiring help other than people I'm acquainted with (cough cough, those cash type people). Plus I don't have enough to keep an employee busy all the time, and I need that money I'd be giving to them for myself!

I have a fancy new PG magnum machine and am not liking at all the spray effictiveness on broadleaf weeds... I need to try differnet chemicals I suppose, but I really have no time to go shopping or play with it! Dosn't help that it's either BLOWING or raining (or threating to rain) almost every day. When the weather is nice I'm busy 8 to 10 hours of the day with my normal mowing schedule. By the time I'm done with that there's not much of me left.

I'd love to find someone to just do my fert apps and spraying. Frankly I spend almost as much as I'm making with that end of it. Chem costs are nuts, then add to that that I am nuts and bought a permagreen this spring. Anyone want to buzz to hutchinson Kansas for a week and run a permagreen and a hose???

Just needed to VENT.

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

try subbing your mowing for a couple of months till you get caught up. I have played the temp game and won and lost. key is to get a decent on call employee and that is hard. try putting an add on craigs list . org and see if you can find some one as needed. it has worked for me and found decent people in between jobs. better than temp. good luck always a quandary.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

The bold face is the problem.... gonna have to put 12-18 hours / day in for a while.

That means starting mowing by shadows as the sun comes up, or spraying the weeds, whichever it may be, and finishing by the moon light.

I've worked 36 hours straight before to get caught up.... you have to do what you have to do.

8-10 hours / day??? I'm just having lunch at that mark.... ;)

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Sub out my mowing? I'd be bankrupt quick! Mowing is 85% of my total income. I guess I wasn't very clear about how much I do, ect.

I have roughly 92 lawns I'm mowing, most are on some sort of treatment program.

I also was unclear about the WEATHER we have been dealing with. It's either WIND or rain, almost every day. Early mornings are no good for spraying or fert, too wet from the dew usually. Iv'e tried spraying weeds with dew on the ground before and it was a total waste or time. Don't want to be spreading fert when everything is that wet either.

Like to know where you can run mowers 36 hours straight. I could start at 7:00am at the earliest, heck it's just light about 6:30. Came home tonight at 6:45, done mowing and it was starting to drizzle.

5. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

You may have to bite the bullet and hire you some help atleast for the mowing part. This year I have 2 part timers.

6. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I cant help you out with the spraying i could help you out with the mowing but you said you dont need help with that. I do know what you are talking about with the wind and rain it has been crazy here too im basicly straight south of you about hour and half or 2 hours. Its not that busy here yet i have about 60 to 65 yards this year only the ones with weeds are coming out right now still a little cold for bermuda but i bet you guys up there with fescue i bet it is going crazy. If worse comes to worse if you really need help i can offer to help mowing but thats about it PM me if ud like

7. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

I know exactly how you feel. I have taken on a lot more this year. Thing is you need to make "enough" profit to be able to hire help. Solo work limits you and hired help is the only way out! Unless you can duplicate yourself-:dizzy:

Also, it's true, you need to put in 12 to 16 hour days.

Try to get more money for what you do and then hire help. You'll be much happier.

Also, never pay your guys cash, you'll wind up paying the taxes on it when you're accountant finds out. That is if your set up legit. If not, you are shooting yourself in the back by not being legit. You'll grow much faster and make more $$.

:)

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I only run about 30-35 commercial accounts, a handful of 4-5 unit townhomes and 2 residential yards.

The commercials, the vast majority of them are 1-2 miles from residential properties, and I've got 10 that are lit up all night, gas stations, car dealers, etc.

I realized about 5 years ago, after I'd talked to another LCO in town, that it could be done, that it's what HAS to be done if you ever get in a bind. Usually the wind dies down at night, so if you get in there at 8-9 pm, you can get some work done before the dew hits.

Also, with commercial accounts (my area they pay about 70% BETTER than residential) you don't have people that hate their lives, their jobs, their spouses, whatever, spending all weekend being ticked off and looking for things on their property to complain about.

Usually the people I deal with can't WAIT to get out of their jobs and get home.

9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

36 Hours straight?? Are you for real? Im not being sarcastic...Im actually curious?

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here are some pointers I use to help guide me:

- When push comes to shove, grass cutting takes priority one always.
    > Yup, everything else has to wait, sorry.
    >> Nope, just the way it is, grass cutting has to come 1st.

- Do one thing all day, load and use only the equipment needed.
    > One lawn at a time.
    >> This helps with efficiency and consistency.

- Plan out the route before leaving, fuel up everything before, too.
    > Leave prepared, have a plan.

- When all else fails, raise prices a bit for new requests, more so for 1st time customers.

btw don't worry about it too much, here in another 3-4 weeks the grass will slow down growing as the temps hit 90, then it may be a better time to do fert / weed apps anyhow just be careful with the fert don't burn no lawns [​IMG]