not enough money!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kyles landscape, Oct 25, 2012.

1. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I too had the same money issues you are experiencing through the winter. The first thing I learned on a personal finance level is to pay my bills once a year. I pay my cell phone bill yearly as well as water, electric, cable, internet, and all insurance. I take the previous yearly amount and pre-pay it. All utility companies love it. I do one each month during mowing season. This changed my life and took allot of stress off me. My customers know I always rent a stump grinder in January. I try to do as much mulch as possible in late Feb. as well as any other hardscaping of any kind. I am still doin leaves in my area till Thanksgiving. My customers that have allot of mature trees, I always check for a clean up after a storm and there is always a few in the winter.

2. kyles landscape

kyles landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I thought about doin lights for next year actually!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

You would be amazed how many jobs you can get from existing customer's especially when your not mowing them. Diversify your company, shrub trimming, flowerbed weed control etc. should already be things you offer with normal service. The best advise.....be smart about spending, bank money. Try to get different types of customer's, some seasonal, some per time. Our seasonal customer's help us through the rough times of the year and the per times keep cash flow going. Its a rollercoaster for sure. If it really gets bad like it did for us last winter, look for a p/t job. Luckily my Father-in-Law owns a commercial painting business so he usually needs help so I do that if it doesn't snow, we stay pretty busy spring, summer and fall.

4. kyles landscape

I do all that and money is no issue for me I'm smart with saving it I just feel obligated to get my employee 40 hours a week
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I hear ya. Theres always something that needs done. I make no guarantees as far as hours go and they know and understand this. I wish I could find guys who are even willing to work 40 hours. It seems like the second they can leave they jump on it. I HATE, HATE, HATE when the minute they get in the shop they ask how long of a day is it going to be.

6. kyles landscape

I do all that and money is no issue for me I'm smart with saving it I just feel obligated to get my employee 40 hours a week
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. kyles landscape

Ya see I fired a kid because he didn't wana work this year and I told him thts how it goes you work when there is work and were done when we are done since rainy days we don't work usually and this summer by me we had an insane drought and worked maybe 15 hr weeks for a month
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. kyles landscape

Its insane how people don't wana work for anything anymore
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Gold Member

A few bigger LCO's in my area have specialty signs just for holiday lighting

Depending on this season ( if it was like last years) I might hang some holiday lights, etc:waving: Good luck!:drinkup:

10. kyles landscape

Thanks! I'm thinkin ill do some research and try 2 figureout the best way to do it and charge for it!
    Posted via Mobile Device