1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

not enough money!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kyles landscape, Oct 25, 2012.

1. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Silver Member

I cant find anyone reliable anymore, my dad is the most reliable lol :rolleyes:

2. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

set up contracts with level payments and year round service. I make my profit during the winter.

3. ptjackson

ptjackson LawnSite Member

I'd second what Andy said I see lots of LCO just smooth the payments and then offer leaf cleaning and other lawn services during the "off season"

Holiday lights and general cleanup are always good ways I see guys making it though the winter. In our area people do lawn treatments as well.

4. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

When you treat your guys like that and tell them things like that it's no wonder you can't find good employees. Respect is mutual, a lot of people cant seem to grasp that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

Trying to build your commercial base in the Winter is one of the better things you can do, as far as staying within the lawn business. Most residential clients aren't thinking about who is cutting their lawns until March, from my experience.

-Michael

6. kyles landscape

kyles landscape LawnSite Senior Member

cant stand lazy people im sorry but if im out there busting my ass i expect the same thing from you. it would be a different story if i sat in the truck and told him to go do the stuff, i wouldnt send someone out to do a job that i havent or wouldnt do myself

7. kyles landscape

i feel its hard to quote properties when there is snow on the ground but i have also seeen from the little commerciel lots they wait a bit longer as well

8. kyles landscape

any advice on how to charge for the lights did a job today and have 3 more but have 0 clue how to charge lol

9. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

IMHO I wouldn't call working 15 hrs a week busting my hump. You are right about people not wanting to work. I have the same mentality about employees when they are hired, I wouldn't have them do anything I wouldn't do myself.

10. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

Since you have snow im guessing you are either in one of the mountain chains or up by the lakes. I would definitely wait until there was little to no snow on the ground.

Sadly, no other person is every going to work as hard as you do because it's your business and you get the most reward from it. Their is only a small group of people who will truly work hard for you and they are the ones who will then go on to start their own businesses. Im also told the "extreme southerners" work very hard for a small check but I don't care, i would shut down before I had them working for me. :rolleyes:

-Michael