Not exactly just starting but....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by liquidforcedude7, Jun 28, 2006.

1. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Alright guys im 15, I mow 8-10 residential and 2 commercials accounts (I could easily grow but not being able to drive puts a burden on you) . I think my lawn tractor is finally going on me, im pouring just about as much money into keeping it running as its bringing in...well my dad just finished having his dream garage built, and it cost alot more than anticipated so my parents cant help me out much. Ive got alittle over 3k saved up for a car (or a mower I guess) for when I get my lisence next fall. If we werent in a financial crunch Id go with a ZTR hands down, comfort, ease... But now that $$ is an issue I might need to go with a w/b. And really thinking about it a w/b might be most practical for me, Ive got some good sized slopes.... But what this is coming down to is do I empty my account and be in debt for a couple years (keep in mind I gota buy a truck next fall). Or should I just get a w/b and pay it off immediatly :dizzy:

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

if you can only have one machine (which that is your case) buy a Walk Behind. they will fit in more places than the Z and can be used on same places the Z can, you won't be as fast, but with only 10 propertys speed isn't as much of a concern. Buy a nice used model for $1500-2000 and have it paid off in no time.

3. liquidforcedude7

from america

Im not sure my dad gets it, he wants me to buy this http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_14101_10237_33817_-1 im indiffrent simply becasue im tired of replaceing things on "residential" equipment and this is residential. It would probably last a while if I was careful since im only doing like 10 yards a week or so, but my dad is sold on it becasue it says HEAVY DUTY on the side :laugh: its got like 20 residential hours on it and the guy wants like 2800-3k

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here it also says: Our Zero-Turn Riders are ideal for homeowners.

Translation: Not for commercial use.

5. liquidforcedude7

from america

Where does it say that? Ill Have to point it out to my dad :laugh:

6. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe it's just me, but a 15 yr old is never capable of controlling the whole operation of a productive company. I do not want to destroy dreams, but you should love what you do for someone else until you are confident that you will not get stuck on a problem that you've never encountered. Experience does count in the service industry!!!!

7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're going to get a mower though, versatility is the best option for your first. No mre that 48" deck because back yard sometimes are gated closer than your mower deck, a walk behind is best for variable terrains, and SCAG mowers are our only way to go. I like the Exmark stuff, but maintenance on them is higher from my experience. Just be prepared to stumble for a few years. Grass is easy to mow when it's level with no obstacles. Try a 45 degree angle for 2 acres with multiple hardscapes and a fungus issue in the mulch. Can you handle the lawns that are going to come your way?

8. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

see my equipment list in my sig. all i had when i started was 3k, i now have about 200 hrs on it, no major problems yet, but i have noticed the spindle bearings are developing more play than i'd like and i have a feeling i'll be replacing all 3 before the year is out. i do about 20-30 yards a week right now, and while it is still ok, i'm getting scared. if i had it to do over again, i'd get a used hustler, exmark, or grasshopper. just my .02. i'm not really into walkbehinds because when it is 100 degrees and 98% humidity, i like to sit down and ride :)

9. cooltype

cooltype LawnSite Member

i got a three acre yard thats seperated into 4 different areas by two houses and two buldings with trees and flowerbeds i mow at a 45 degree angle and each sections angles line up with the others :) mow it in an hour and a half with 52" bobcat walk behind every week

10. cooltype

cooltype LawnSite Member

i bought a bobcat 52" walk behind for $1500 this year.gear driven 17hp kawasaki with sulky. ive got 17 accounts right now my first real year and its all i need, dont wanna go in debt and end up not making any money i think you would be better off getting something like that to start with and then save up money to buy a Z rider. i would like to get one next year once i get about 40 yards.