NOT gated properties?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 11, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

does anyone turn down properties that require a 21" to get through the gates? my mentality in the past has been to accept these clients, just charge accordingly. i am changing my tune on this. i carried a 32" that was for 2-3 gated properties that the 36" wouldn't fit through. no more 32", i'm now carrying a 21" to get in these gates. well, i talked to one customer, told him he needs a bigger gate, or i'm gone. he had the bigger gate put in within a week. that leaves 2. they will need to get bigger gates, or a new lawn guy. my 21" days are over i think. there is just no reason to take up room on the trailer carrying a 32" or 21" mower, just for 2-3 customers. 2-3 customers kept or lost will never make a difference in my life, they just don't justify the need to carry equipment just for them. opinions
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Gated Props? Pass...
  3. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

We only use our 21" Murray or MTD on small medians in parking lots. We won't use a 21" on residentials. For our 21" we buy throw away mowers (murrays).
  4. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I only have one property that requires a 21". I leave it in his back yard behind the shed.
  5. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

Is what I will be saying once I get a bigger mower. As a matter of fact I don't have any gated properties now and I have a mower I could get through most gates.
    Just went from a 4X8 to the 6X10 trailer so it won't be to long, hopefully!
  6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

My gated small yards are the best paying yards. Pricing is so competitive here here medium size lawns are tough to get good pricing on . Two small yards side by side yields 40% more cash for the same footage as the meduim size yard with a 36 inch machine. A 21 inch Suzuki Proline and a 26 inch Metro with a two person crew are kicking butt on my little lawns. My 36 Hydro sits until lawns reach 6000-7000 sq feet.
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I keep a 21 inch handy for dog pens and thats it. I only have a couple of customers with Dog pins so i dont bother to carry it around daily. I turn down larger yards without double gate openings
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

There are lots of gated properties here. I would say i have to use the small mower (gravely 34Z) on about 50 of them. But a 21, never ever. Maybe if they come out with a 21 ince rider.
  9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Here, 99.9% of homes are gated, with gates just big eniugh for a 32" mower. However, MOST places are so small an area of turf that you really don't need big mowers.
    A large percentage of the profitable lawns In the Houston Metro area are small enough that three 21" mowers will be more productive than two 32" mowers. There are some places that a 48 or 52" would be nice, like corner lots, or cul-de sac's, but even the cul de sac's have gated back yards.

The Only 32" or bigger mower I'd even consider would be a Stander, as anything else would be to bulky or slow. It would take a long time to recoup $4500 for one of those.. I can easily get three Proline 21" mowers for less than that, and equip an entire crew..

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a 32" exmark that got when i first started which helped me get accounts . now i only use it for one account.